Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
It can't be. I have a #6 (the only primary spring I have bought from VFJ) and it has a yellow and a white stripe on it.
There's no red-yellow/white stripe on the list. The closest is a red-yellow/silver stripe: #7.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looking at possibly changing secondary spring for drag racing. Running a VFJ #1 primary & #1 secondary. Would changing the 2ndary make much difference?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Looking at possibly changing secondary spring for drag racing. Running a VFJ #1 primary & #1 secondary. Would changing the 2ndary make much difference?
The current springs are where you want to be for your stock engine and 27" tires.

·
Premium Member
10,195 Posts
It can't be. I have a #6 (the only primary spring I have bought from VFJ) and it has a yellow and a white stripe on it.
There's no red-yellow/white stripe on the list. The closest is a red-yellow/silver stripe: #7.
I'll have to pull my clutch cover off my 700 and see exactly what I have then. I had bought a #6 from VFJ but I don't remember it having the gold stripe.

It would be nice if the color codes were listed with the numbers & spring rated on the first post in this thread.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Here are the colors from VFJ's chart:

Primary Spring rates are measured exactly at 2.50/1.25 of an inch compressed heights.

VFJ#1 is 10/170 Low stall, Mid-high rate red/purple/silver
VFJ#2 is 10/220 Low stall, High RPM red/yellow/black
VFJ#3 is 20/250 Low stall, Very High rpm red/white/black
VFJ#4 is 30/265 Low-Mid stall, Super High RPM red/green/black

Next I have the higher stall and Atv oriented springs.

VFJ #5 is 55/160 High stall, mid RPM red/blue
VFJ#6 is 25/175 Medium stall, mid-high rpm red/gold
VFJ #7 is 70/260 High stall, Super High RPM red/silver/yellow

The Secondary spring rates for my springs are:

#1 165/265 Gray/white
#2 195/310 Orange/purple
#3 205/345 Orange/Silver
#4 120/220 Gray/Red

·
Registered
20 Posts
What does mean "Stall"?
Could you explain it? I can't translate it into my language through google translator, so i need your help ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
What does mean "Stall"?
Could you explain it? I can't translate it into my language through google translator, so i need your help ;)
Stall is how many RPM's the engine turns before the primary clutch engages. (Think I'm right!!:unsure:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the #1 and #1, Im going to try the #2 primary this weekend. Im just curious how much diffence the stall and ramp up rate will be

·
Registered
511 Posts
#2 has a lot of stall, stock 70 you might not like it

Sent from my iPhone on the toilet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
#2 has a lot of stall, stock 70 you might not like it

Stock 700 sorry

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a brute with 29.5 terminators, being I have the smallest motor most of the time Im looking for more rpm's. My bike is plenty fast, just need alittle quicker

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
What would be the best primary spring for my application? Fst 730, 36 mm carbs, muzzy sp, ported heads, 25 inch tires. I have your number 2 and 6. I have been running the 6 but have since done the porting and bigger tires. If something different that what I have would be better let me know. No mud racing mainly hard pack and grass.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Fastest I got mine (similar motor setup) was with my #7 primary, #4 secondary, my adjustable weights set at 50 grams. this motor made 71 rwhp, ran [email protected] in the 1/4 mile bouncing off the stock rev limiter. 1/8 mile was [email protected] mph

for your setup, run the #2 for now. I think you have my secondary too? gray/red stripe?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Fastest I got mine (similar motor setup) was with my #7 primary, #4 secondary, my adjustable weights set at 50 grams. this motor made 71 rwhp, ran [email protected] in the 1/4 mile bouncing off the stock rev limiter. 1/8 mile was [email protected] mph

for your setup, run the #2 for now. I think you have my secondary too? gray/red stripe?
I do have your secondary in now (#4 I think). Clutch and weights are still stock.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I run the #7 primary #4 secondary and my adjustable race weights. 1.55 60 foot times and 7.4's @82 mph on the 715 I have. all motor. I rev out at exactly 8550 rpm the entire 1/4 mile. I hit the stock CDI rev limit at 8600 @ 93.8 mph running stage 4 clutch with 25 scorchers

·
Premium Member
10,195 Posts
I have the following primary springs that I got from you but I don't remember which number or spring rates they are. Can you tell me?

Red w/ orange stripe
Red w/ gold stripe

·
Registered
323 Posts
This should help with the #'s and colors...

Here are the colors from VFJ's chart:

Primary Spring rates are measured exactly at 2.50/1.25 of an inch compressed heights.

VFJ#1 is 10/170 Low stall, Mid-high rate red/purple/silver
VFJ#2 is 10/220 Low stall, High RPM red/yellow/black
VFJ#3 is 20/250 Low stall, Very High rpm red/white/black
VFJ#4 is 30/265 Low-Mid stall, Super High RPM red/green/black

Next I have the higher stall and Atv oriented springs.

VFJ #5 is 55/160 High stall, mid RPM red/blue
VFJ#6 is 25/175 Medium stall, mid-high rpm red/gold
VFJ #7 is 70/260 High stall, Super High RPM red/silver/yellow

The Secondary spring rates for my springs are:

#1 165/265 Gray/white
#2 195/310 Orange/purple
#3 205/345 Orange/Silver
#4 120/220 Gray/Red

·
Premium Member
10,195 Posts
OK, so I see what the Red/Gold one is (#6) but I still have no idea what the Red/Orange one is. It is DEFINITELY a VFJ spring because I got it at the same time. I guess I will have to take a picture of it.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts