Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John, I got the clutches on both bikes last night, they looked great. I only had a chance to take mine around the block but I was able to smoke the tires on asphalt; this is surprising as I only expected a top end gain like some have mentioned. Bruce just called me after testing his this morning and hit 88 MPH. This is 8 MPH faster than before the clutch and we still have some fine tuning to do on the carbs. I'm sure we can get a couple more out of it. Just wanted to give a big thanks, we are both very happy.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Thanks to both of you.

Enjoy the new setups. They were both cut on my new Haas CNC machine, and I think you'll agree, the machining came out incredible. even better than it has before. I'm working now with around .0005 runout.

Some fine tuning to Bruces main jets and that will be easily in the 90's

When your machine is setup right, this clutch setup is an ALLOVER GAIN. I can set the clutches up the right way. the rest of the package is up to you.

If you need any help, just let me know

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Thanks to both of you.

Enjoy the new setups. They were both cut on my new Haas CNC machine, and I think you'll agree, the machining came out incredible. even better than it has before. I'm working now with around .0005 runout.
Shit! So you mean mine is now "old technology"? :lol:

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Only thing that changed is before I did all the sheaves angles BY HAND!!! Very time consuming to get it dead on. the Spiders and Faceplate were always CNC mill cut.

now, I load a clutch sheave part in the fixture. close the doors, come back 2:30 seconds later and it's all done for me.

Even though the machine cost me 65,000 for something that I didn't really need, and another 5000.00 for the teacher to come to my shop for the past month every friday and Saturday to show me how to use it. (then another 10-15,000 for tooling, chucks, live centers, clamp jaw live center chucks, an a whole snapon classic 96 toolbox FULL of high dollar coolant thru tooling, collets, and bits (tonight is my last class and the Final exam!!)

I decided against raising my prices at this time because it's such a wicked machine to use.

I'm just looking for better precision and better results from this. so far, it's been working VERY well. Plus I can make my Harley Davidson clutch components on this machine and that's where the big bucks are at. So If you ride a Harley with a 103-110cc motor I make a clutch component for those models in 2-3 wheel that is bolt in that increases clutch pressure and reduces lever pull resistance by 35%. I intend to sell this once it's patented. (which is taking forever)

Next step after this is build a bigger shop!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Only thing that changed is before I did all the sheaves angles BY HAND!!! Very time consuming to get it dead on. the Spiders and Faceplate were always CNC mill cut.

now, I load a clutch sheave part in the fixture. close the doors, come back 2:30 seconds later and it's all done for me.

Even though the machine cost me 65,000 for something that I didn't really need, and another 5000.00 for the teacher to come to my shop for the past month every friday and Saturday to show me how to use it. (then another 10-15,000 for tooling, chucks, live centers, clamp jaw live center chucks, an a whole snapon classic 96 toolbox FULL of high dollar coolant thru tooling, collets, and bits (tonight is my last class and the Final exam!!)

I decided against raising my prices at this time because it's such a wicked machine to use.

I'm just looking for better precision and better results from this. so far, it's been working VERY well. Plus I can make my Harley Davidson clutch components on this machine and that's where the big bucks are at. So If you ride a Harley with a 103-110cc motor I make a clutch component for those models in 2-3 wheel that is bolt in that increases clutch pressure and reduces lever pull resistance by 35%. I intend to sell this once it's patented. (which is taking forever)

Next step after this is build a bigger shop!!
Sounds like an amzing setup in the works! Machining is where its at if you fibd the right market..harley is def. A market you want to get into!
What kind of controls are on your new machine? I deal with pretty much all your new toys and know what it takes to make good parts..

Once, tooling, setups, programs and all the little things are done...$$$$$

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
My CNC lathe uses Fanuc Controls as it's a Haas. Other Knee Mill is a Centroid, so they use their own setup.

I also have Solidworks, and Mastercam x6 for designing. (I I knew how to use them effective enough)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok maybe i am not familiar with it...:rolleyes:

Im used to siemens controls.
Either way, congrats on the investment!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts