Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting some springs and adjustable weights from VforceJohn , and the options are as listed , ( no stall , high stall , trail , mud , sand and race ) . i ride bumpy old rail beds ( wide open and smooth at times ) , tight forest trails , wide open roads and mudding .. pretty much everything . what would you guys recommend as far as those options to go with my riding style ? pretty much an aggressive , but safe driving style . any feed back is appreciated !

·
Registered
871 Posts
If your wanting performance and aggressive, your going to want a primary spring with some stall for a sportier feeling and harder launch out of the hole. To much stall however could be a pain in tight areas, just have to ride them and see what you like. Some people want zero stall, me personally rode higher stall snowmobiles for years so having some stall doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Like mentioned I think it's all a matter of personal preference for the riding you do. You can play until you find the combo to your liking. As with most things in life, I think you will be making some compromises.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just installed John's 6/1 springs on my Brute last week. There is a little more stall than stock, but I like it so far. Make sure your belt is at 22mm deflection for best performance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your wanting performance and aggressive, your going to want a primary spring with some stall for a sportier feeling and harder launch out of the hole. To much stall however could be a pain in tight areas, just have to ride them and see what you like. Some people want zero stall, me personally rode higher stall snowmobiles for years so having some stall doesn't bother me.
yeah see i have a high stall on mine already , im kinda on the fence about it . does having a high stall wear anything out quicker ?

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
What size tires do you have? If not bigger than 26's, go with a "trail" set-up.
There's never been any proof that a higher stall creates more wear.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just installed John's 6/1 springs on my Brute last week. There is a little more stall than stock, but I like it so far. Make sure your belt is at 22mm deflection for best performance.
How much did you gain? Also what size tire you running?

·
Registered
289 Posts
How much did you gain? Also what size tire you running?
Not sure on top speed gains, roads are too slippery here to test. I just installed Pitbull Growler BG2.5's. They are 27x9-14 front/27-11-14 rear. They are heavy, but the Brute turns them no problem.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I have vfj's adj. weights and springs set up for pretty heavy tires and wheels. All I can say about them is get used to taking your clutch cover off! It takes a ton of tinkering to figure out what you need/want. With all due respect to John, his recommendations were way off for my tastes. But to be fair, he has never ridden at my elevations and was just guessing what might work. He did also warn me that there is some trial and error involved.
Anyway, I got pretty good at tearing everything apart. I think I got it set pretty well now, but you really never know unless you have access to a dyno.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What size tires do you have? If not bigger than 26's, go with a "trail" set-up.
There's never been any proof that a higher stall creates more wear.
i have 28in zillas on " HD alloy " rims, relatively light , im getting a dynatek soon if that matters at all . it also runs abit rich.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
The tire diameter and weight may require going with a "mud" set-up. But just because it says "mud", it doesn't mean that it won't work for everything.

Kickstart, you don't need a dyno to set up the clutches; all you need is a tach. Clutch kits don't increase horsepower; they just move the running RPM range around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts