Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go figure, we gotta foot of snow comming and my winch is acting up. I figured Id post up before I tear the thing apart. its a warn xt25 just over a year old. rope out intermit fails and wont let the blade down. i cant even hear the relay click when im trying to let the rope out. up always works. makes me think the button is junk. are there common problems with these buttons failing early? where is the cheapest place to get warn parts?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Check with Warn because they had a recall on the contactors.You might have one of the bad ones.If you have six posts on top it is the old stile andthey will send you one for free if it is one with only four posts them you will be buying one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No the contactors were for the older ci's and a2000 series winches. The xt and rt are new ones. Don't be afraid to call Warn though and see about getting a warranty replacement. If not then the part you need to look for is 63070.

FYI i used to work for warn.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
r u guys talking about the wiches brushes or the switch?

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I think they are talking about the contactor - it's the relay that the switch controls to send power to the winch. It's usually a small black box with either wires coming out (power, ground, two to the winch, and the wires to the switch) or terminals. The contactor is one of the main differences between cheaper and more expensive winches. I originally had a Gorilla winch - it had a contactor with terminals for the wires to connect too (not very water resistant). The Warn I have now has a sealed contactor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll call warn monday and see if they'll warranty it. I'll report back with what they do. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

I'm having the same problem. I have a Brute Force 650. Warn 2500. The warn is only a little over a yer old.Sometimes the out does not work but the in always works. I found if I ride it around for a second the out starts working. All connections are tight.

Can I ask what you found out?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, after having the same problem but still getting it to work, I had to deal with 2 issues this week plowing snow. First, the cable was bunching up and loosened up what I believe you guys are calling the "posts". It has (had) 4. I put 2 back in and tightened them, then I tightened the one that was a little loose, and the other one is MIA.

Then, the cable flat wore in half at the fairlead and I had to spool out some new cable and reclamp the hook back on. While I was at it, I respooled the entire line by tying it to a post and winching it in with light break pressure and it seems to be working a lot better.

Question to you guys, will it work without the 4th post for very long? Is there anyway to salvage the winch after this winter or will I have to replace it when it stops all together? Just curious as I am the only one in the family with a winch and I would feel insecure going on a trip without one but don't want to buy a new one either.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The best thing you can do for your cable and fairlead is get rid of the cable as far as plowing is concerned. I thought synthetic was the answer to save my fairlead, but I was wrong there also. Plus the synthetic broke faster than the cable did. I went to WaslMart and spent $12 on a replacement strap for a boat winch and spooled it onto my winch. It works perfect. It doesn't cut into my fairlead and doesn't fray. I will try to post a pic if I get a chance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The best thing you can do for your cable and fairlead is get rid of the cable as far as plowing is concerned. I thought synthetic was the answer to save my fairlead, but I was wrong there also. Plus the synthetic broke faster than the cable did. I went to WaslMart and spent $12 on a replacement strap for a boat winch and spooled it onto my winch. It works perfect. It doesn't cut into my fairlead and doesn't fray. I will try to post a pic if I get a chance.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think the fairlead would need replaced? It was new this season. Looking forward to your pic...I have never removed/replaced a cable on a winch. How do you go about doing this and putting your replacement strap for a boat winch on? Thanks again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry I haven't been home the last couple of days. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. I just pulled the cable out all the way and then took plier and pinched the cable and shoved it back through the hole. It was held in by a little ball and then dobled over and stuck back in the hole. The strap I just useed a small piece of mechanics wire through the hole and to the strap. Once you get a couple of wraps it won't go anywhere. Not sure if you'll have to replace your fairlead or not. I wore through the bottom roller in 1 season of plowing. I replaced mine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you are going to use the synthetic rope you are supposed to switch to a hawse fairlead not the roller one that is used with the steel cable.This is probably what caused the premature failure to your rope.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry I haven't been home the last couple of days. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. I just pulled the cable out all the way and then took plier and pinched the cable and shoved it back through the hole. It was held in by a little ball and then dobled over and stuck back in the hole. The strap I just useed a small piece of mechanics wire through the hole and to the strap. Once you get a couple of wraps it won't go anywhere. Not sure if you'll have to replace your fairlead or not. I wore through the bottom roller in 1 season of plowing. I replaced mine.
Thanks, appreciate the info. Don't see much for our area in terms of snow in the extended forecast but March is usually good for a suprise blizzard or ice storm. Will make the switch for sure next year. Lesson learned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts