Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I don't know if I'm in the right forum but I'll give it a try.

I've got an 2006 Brute Force 750 that I bought used this summer. It had 130 miles, garage kept, came with a warn 2.5 CI winch and a 48" plow. I took the machine upstate for hunting (without the plow). I noticed that the cable was kinked and got snagged during retrieval.

Anyway we just got hit with about 2' of snow here on Long Island. I hooked up the snow plow to the winch cable last night. Things went great until the cable snapped twice today. I took the winch off of the machine and spooled out about 20' of wire (the worst part of the cable), cut it and then reconnected it again. It worked great for the rest of the day. Here's my question. Are these wire cables specifically made for these warn winches? Or can I buy a wire cable length from home depot? In other words how do these wire cables connect to the spool of the winch? IOW do I need a specific (OEM) wire cable or will any wire cable work?

Thanks for any help!

John

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can get the 3/16 x 50' aircraft cable pretty much anywhere, you don't need to buy OEM. Also i highly recomend the synthetic cable (as recomended by asnow) on the end of the steel cable for plowing, handles the tight bends.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You can get the 3/16 x 50' aircraft cable pretty much anywhere, you don't need to buy OEM. Also i highly recomend the synthetic cable (as recomended by asnow) on the end of the steel cable for plowing, handles the tight bends.
If you change from a wire cable to a synthetic rope change the roller fair lead or file it down smooth so you don't cut the rope... Just an FYI

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This stuff is great.
Amsteel Blue Synthetic Rope
Check Ebay,there can be some great deals there sometimes for it.

Thanks for the replies fellas! I have one question about this "amsteel blue synthetic rope". I have a 3/16 inch steel wire cable. Do I replace it with the same gauge in this rope? Or can I go with a slightly larger diameter in the Amsteel rope? I want to get the maximum results. BTW this is a Warn 2.5 CI atv winch.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was under the assumption that the amsteel rope was a replacement for the wire cable. If you put it at the "end" of the steel cable then how is that done? How would you connect the amsteel rope to the metal cable? And how woud that connection feed through the roller fairlead?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
jjforsyth really like your action fig. pic

·
Registered
247 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts