Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2019 Mule SX , great toy to have when camping . During our last trip we had many water crossings to cross and I noticed as soon as it got deep enough for the exhaust to go under the engine would die (from the exhaust filling up ) even when I had it in low and the foot on the gas . After it died we would just turn the key off and push it across then start it straight back up and would be off again until we encountered another water crossing a bit too deep . Has anyone else experienced this ? And what have you done to fix it ?

I’ve consider making a snorkel for the exhaust to put on for water crossing so we can just cross with out any hassles .

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
261 Posts
Wow, that's some deep water for it do that... you may try and run a straight exhaust where it comes over the CVT belt cover.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you 100% sure it is an exhaust issue? My Mule is currently 200 miles away, so I can't eyeball this, but is it possible your air intake gulped some water? That would kill the engine when the intake tube was blocked with water, but the water probably would not make it to the entire engine air filter element. The water would be caught in the air box and I'm thinking there is a small drain in the bottom of that. The engine would start back up easily on land as the momentary blockage was gone. I've seen several Jeeps rigged for fording water and the snorkle is on the intake, not the exhaust. You did mention you were in low, which means higher RPM and more exhaust output pressure stopping water ingress. I'm putting my money on an intake snorkel.

Please take this for what it is worth. I do not have my machine in front of me, it's 4am and I don't have the memory of a youngster. I'm also a little hung up on the quick restart. If any water actually reached the cylinder, that would not happen. Yah....I still like my intake theory.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If the SX had filled the intake with water I doubt it would be easy to start. I know the intake on the 610 was routed through the roll bar and unless there is a leak, it would be tough for water to get in

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like Sawdust's thinking. It is doubtful tge exhaust sucked in water to block and stall engine. My thougts are intake related also. Just enough water tl stall but not enough to suck into motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts