Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so ive seen 2 tecates in my short 19 year lifetime. because i was born in the 90's i wasnt around for the production years of the bike and any tecate on this planet is 20+ years old now.

so my guess is assuming that the tecate 4 failed to keep up with industry and somehow had flaws that caused it to be less favorable. despite the pv 2 stroke motor, the chassis seems to be weak and the metal used looks soft and is very susceptible to warping due to impact.

during teardown of my bike i noticed that it looked like some one gave my bike a left hook and broke the tecates noes witch caused me to chop and replace my entire lower rail system.

soon later a friend of mine also got a tecate but his was an 88 vs my 87 and during tear down of his bike it looked like some gave his a right hook creating a mirror bend in his chassis.

has anyone else noticed this? is this a reason why racers of the 80's used the honda and suzuki and not the tecate? idk this might be a ramble thred but im just trying to understand how unlucky i must be to see 2 very badly injured atvs

·
Registered
780 Posts
They're high performance machines brother, these aren't the rigs granny takes to the supermarket on Sundays. You're confusing a Tecate with a Buick. Since 1987, you can only imagine how many times the bike you're looking at right now has been used, abused, re-used and re-abused.

Familiar with the Roach concept? Here's the 50 cent tour. I buy a Tecate for myself. Then whenever I see other Tecates with nice stuff on them, I buy them too. I take off the best stuff, put it all on my bike and sell off the bike with all of the inferior parts. Eventually, like survival of the fittest, the best stuff ends up on my bike. Where do all the weakest parts go then? Well, I'll tell you. They go to the person that sees a Tecate for sale for $600, buys it, then later realizes he has just purchased a pile of evolutionary crap. AKA - a roach.

Hopefully that's either not you, or you made the deal knowing that. Welcome aboard by the way.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The Tecate frame is actually quite strong. I've bought 4 tecates and only one was in good shape!!! The suspension was the weakest point of the T4. It's a smaller bike that a 250r. I don't know if it was a lack of support from the factory team or aftermarket company's, or what went on with the T4 race team.. Anyone know???

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I know what kind of bend your talking about. My old frame is like that due to a very hard head on collision with a raptor 660 at little sahara in Oklahoma back in 2002. I still rode it like that until a year or 2 ago I bought a frame from rockhound. I crashed my tecate alot when I raced it and that head on wreck was the only thing that ever hurt the main frame so I believe they are tough bikes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey nick haha i'm the friend who has the mirror bend, the frame has a gnarly twist but i'll deal with it for the mean time. no cracks. i want to get a frame from rockhound- are they gaurenteed straight? i'm in no rush i just like knowing when everything is true and right, almost everything ive owned over the years has had something messed up on it including every bicycle i've ever had lol. i dont belive i got a roach but it did have a bug like characteristic about it but thats gonna change when i'm done with it.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I am sure the rest of rockhounds frames are strait.

·
Registered
86 Posts
sweet thanks guys i'm deff gonna be looking at getting a frame over the summer. money is kinda tight right now, too many projects. i'm located in clarence center ny

·
Registered
69 Posts
Restored 87 Tecate-4 frame for sale

I have an extra frame off an 87 that was bead blasted, painted factory silver and clear coated. It has a few welds but is straight. I've attached a picture if anyone is interested and semi local. The clear coat didn't like the welded seems too much but it still looks sharp. The subframe was done up in metallic blue and looks chgreat although it has a slight tweak that I noticed after the painting (of course). If you guys need any other Tecate-4 parts let me know: [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts