Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got around to taking the cam cover off the mojo once I got it a rolling chassis tonight. From what I could see it all looked great. Cams,Rockers,and springs all look good too.I was told the Decomp broke or messed up and warped the head and messed a cam up. Decomp didnt look broken anywhere and there was no scarring showed on the top side at least. I know not much can be diagnosed from pics but I took some anyhow. The kick starter seems to be locked pretty solid. What could the problem be? I will be tearing the top off soon to check it good so I will know what I need.

See anything?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It kinda looks like the decomp mech has worked its way out of the exhaust cam a bit, letting it rub on the head and not hit the decomp lever on the exhaust rocker. Mine did that and felt like it was locked when I tried to kick it. After 2 times having to pull the exhaust cam out to tap the decomp mech back in place I pulled it off, haven't had a problem since I removed the decomp mech. Hope this helps

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, So you are not running a decomp? Be nice if that is all it is. I guess I wont know anything for sure till the head comes off.Thanks for the info though! :tup:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
One other tip just because I saw the bolts sitting in one of the pictures. The bolts that holds the valve cover on, technically have a torque setting according to the manual, but lot's of people strip them out. Since they are a shoulder bolt, once they bottom out, that's it. Any more torquing can mess things up.

I put mine back on with a 1/4" drive socket to keep from trying to overtighten them.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other tip just because I saw the bolts sitting in one of the pictures. The bolts that holds the valve cover on, technically have a torque setting according to the manual, but lot's of people strip them out. Since they are a shoulder bolt, once they bottom out, that's it. Any more torquing can mess things up.

I put mine back on with a 1/4" drive socket to keep from trying to overtighten them.

Thanks for the tip MM! A 1/4" socket is what I used on it also. So do you think It might just be the decomp?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't say for sure that's your problem but it sounds like what mine was doing. If there was any kind of gap between the cam and decomp "like circled in the pic" mine would act like it was locked up and wouldn't start. Good luck, frustrated the hell out of me till I figured that was the cause.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't say for sure that's your problem but it sounds like what mine was doing. If there was any kind of gap between the cam and decomp "like circled in the pic" mine would act like it was locked up and wouldn't start. Good luck, frustrated the hell out of me till I figured that was the cause.

Hmm, I didnt see a gap there but of course I wasnt looking for one either. I will go and check that out. Thanks and keep it coming guys! :tup:

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked and there was no gap at all. Maybe I will be lucky and it just be the decomp fugged up. Oh and how bad will it be to replace the gear/gears for the kick starter?

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure aint yet Neal,. I need to tear it on down though. I need to see how much trouble it will be to replace the kick start gears. I will call ya here in just a few.

·
Premium Member
6,802 Posts
Me and Tim was looking at your pix last night and he said everything in the pix looked OK. You need to tear it on down and see if you can find anything else.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Calling you now! :tup:

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

How should I go about removing the decomp? IS there anything holding it in there? From what I have seen there is nothing holding it in. How can I hold it and knock the decomp off?

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nevermind I cut the weld on the Decomp and removed it. I took the head off. It has a .20 over 11.5:1 Wiseco piston in it already:D The cam journals dont look that bad and there is no play on the cams when there in. The valves look good except for some carbon build up.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, For one thing the Cam gear on the intake side is broke. The pin was broke off in the cam. I got the old pin out. Other then that one of the gears for the kick start was bad (it is the kickstart idle gear,25 tooth,The collar,washer and keeper where gone for it,it was just hanging there. There was alot of metal shavings in there too. It appeared that there were some shavings to get past the Oil screen. I guess to clean them out I will half to split the case down the middle? Damn I hope not but I know it's coming. I will get some pics of the head,Valves,Cam Journals,and misc tomorrow. What now?

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You cant really feel anything on the cam journal's but you can see it. Cams still seem good and tight on there. I pulled the cylinder and checked it and it was perfect along with the piston. I dont think they have been in it long.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Reply from the PM. I don't see anything wrong with the cams and stuff. It looks pretty similar to mine actually.

There's something that can go wrong with the kick start gears that messes up a piece of the clutch. I can't remember what it is though. I also remember someone that had a simple clip come off and a it caused it to lock up. If you haven't done it already, it may be best to pull the clutch side cover off and start digging in there. From what you've shown so far, tearing the top down much more doesn't like like it will be very useful.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the clutch side cover off now. I had to take the clutch off to get the bad gear off. The collar,washer, and keeper was gone so the gear tried to come off and it locked it up. Nothing in the Top end seemed bad enough that it shouldnt run except the cam gear pin was broke. So a cam gear will fix that part. I kinda dread putting this thing back in time, Well not really. So all you gotta do is find the compression stroke,then put the cam dots at 9 and 3 right? I will get some pics of the clutch side tonight when I get back home.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There's also a very faint mark on the left side if you take the smaller, upper plastic plug out for timing. You have to turn it slow because it is hard to see. Have that visible in the hole and you are correct, the dots are pretty much at 9 and 3. They aren't completely lined up flat with the top of the head, but also aren't off by much.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay I thought I was close,. I need to track down those gears I need and put it all back together and see what happens. I will go used on those parts. New they are over 100.00 just for the cam gear and kick start gear.:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts