Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pro FXT owners who installed a wench. Which unit did you go with? How easy was installation? Did you use an accessory fuse box?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mile Marker M5 5000lb winch. KFI winch mount. I had to redrill the mount holes in the KFI mount because the rear winch motor terminal would have hit the grill. The terminals are at 9 & 3 o'clock and the motor could not be reclocked. Rather than cut my grill, I chose to mount the winch about 3/4" further forward. KFI mount is well made and fit without any problems. Only improvement they could make is supply metric hardware to keep the Mule all metric.
I have not done the wiring yet. I will not use an accessory fuse box. I will either use a continuous duty solenoid (hot key ON) on the positive battery wire, and/or have switch controlling the positive wire to the winch controller. With 12v to the switch only "hot" with key ON. I do not want someone playing with the winch controller if Mule is unattended.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The terminals on the cheap 4500# winch I put on my pro mx had the terminals on the top and bottom rather than how yours are, but I had to drill holes in the plate that connected the fairlead because they didn't match the winch bolt pattern and it came with the winch

·
Registered
402 Posts
Top and bottom would have been better and not required drilling the KFI mount. Or Mile Marker could have made clocking the motor an option. It would have only required a few tapped holes.
The winch came with a mounting plate, that is need for the fairlead. The KFI mount does not have fairlead provisions. So I stacked the plates and bought longer mount bolts. M10-1.5mm x 30mm long.
I had the KFI mount installed when I went to mount the winch, found the interference. I had to pull the KFI mount to drill it. I used the Mile Marker mount as a drill guide. I moved it as far forward as I could.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts