Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

2881 - 2899 of 2899 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ugh my elkas are supposed to be delivered by tueday and I have yet to get a shipping confirmation..... dang pandemic. On a positive note I have the basic layout of the track in my back yard, might change it a little. When I enlarge my pond this July I’ll have spare dirt for jumps and such

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Got my winch fixed (it self destructed), and got some new line on it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Installed some new Quadboss tierods on the old Brute. Then, I took it out for a rip with a buddy!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Got my new steering stem bushings and bearing installed. Fairly easy job once you get the tie rods off. They were a bugger getting off and on. No room in there to out a good clamp on them, or come up from underneath with an impact. Anyone have any tips on how to do it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Got my new steering stem bushings and bearing installed. Fairly easy job once you get the tie rods off. They were a bugger getting off and on. No room in there to out a good clamp on them, or come up from underneath with an impact. Anyone have any tips on how to do it?
I think I got my stock ones off with a 1/4” impact and right angle driver. Been several years but I think that’s what I did. I have the ASR’s on it now and they have a tad more room around the boot to get a thin wrench on it to keep the tapered shaft from spinning.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think it’s a 14mm wrench for the stud and 17mm for the nut, but like NC said, you need a thin 14mm wrench to get it on the stud. I took a crappy wrench and ground it down so it fit properly and then used an impact and a long extension with a swivel for the nut.

Reactions: kickstart

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

I replaced my old winch rope with a new one.
I put a new rope on the new Warn winch that I installed 6/18/2018 so it looks like it was two years old.

Not sure if there was really anything wrong with the old one but a new 3/16" 7700 lb rope was only $15.90 inc tax.
And the old one was fading pretty bad. :(:rolleyes:
I guess it falls into the "maintenance category" now. ;) :LOL:

·
Registered
779 Posts

I replaced my old winch rope with a new one.
I put a new rope on the new Warn winch that I installed 6/18/2018 so it looks like it was two years old.

Not sure if there was really anything wrong with the old one but a new 3/16" 7700 lb rope was only $15.90 inc tax.
And the old one was fading pretty bad. :(:rolleyes:
I guess it falls into the "maintenance category" now. ;) :LOL:
Kenny where did you get the rope at ?

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The color I dont really care about. Have you used this brand before ?
Nope. I've bought a few different ones and paid about the same for all of them.
I'm hard on them for some reason, winches too. I'm on my 2nd winch.

The one I replaced looked pretty beat but it never broke.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The color I dont really care about.
One thing I learned about winch line is to buy bright colors. I had an olive green and then an orange one, and I couldn't see the line going around the spool without a flashlight. It was hard to spool it up evenly. Went to lime green and blue, and I can see them fine. The new Brutes might not be as dark in the winch bay as my Prairie is though. I've got inside fenders all around, and the Brutes have nothing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
One thing I learned about winch line is to buy bright colors. I had an olive green and then an orange one, and I couldn't see the line going around the spool without a flashlight. It was hard to spool it up evenly. Went to lime green and blue, and I can see them fine. The new Brutes might not be as dark in the winch bay as my Prairie is though. I've got inside fenders all around, and the Brutes have nothing.
Im on my stock line which is white ill have to take a look at it and see what condition its in. Ive only used the winch maybee 4 times since ive had it. I wouldnt mind blue line though.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Nope. I've bought a few different ones and paid about the same for all of them.
I'm hard on them for some reason, winches too. I'm on my 2nd winch.

The one I replaced looked pretty beat but it never broke.
Spider silk

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Spider silk

Being 5/16" instead of 3/16" it wont all fit on the spool.
1/4 is 25% thicker than 3/16" and you'll lose at least 10' of the rope.
5/16" is almost twice as thick at 3/16" and you might have to cut off as much as 20 feet to get it all on the spool.

Ropes wear out from rubbing against rough surfaces like trees, rocks or the ground.

For some reason I like the blue rope. ;)

Back in the old days when we bought winches for our trucks we always figured the winch rating should be double the trucks weight.

Following that rule a 1500 lb winch should suffice for the average ATV but I'd bet most people have 2500 lb winches or better. Doubling that a rope rated for 7700 lbs should be plenty.

WOW!!! It looked nice when it was new and didn't have a box or any other BS attached to it. LOL

Looking back thru pictures I got my first winch and my second set of tires when I had 1000 miles on my ATV.
It was a 2500 lb KFI winch. One day I winched 2-300 ft thru deep wet snow. After that the spool wouldn't free-wheel to pull the rope out. I replaced it with a 2500 lb Warn.

Not sure if Warn still makes them, but they had a 3000 lb winch that was really a 2500 lb winch and the only difference was the 3000 lb winch came with heavier wire than the 2500 lb winch did.

I wore out a set of Sedona Mud Rebels in 800 miles. They were junk.
My second set of tires were Sedona Mud Rebel RTs. They were junk too.
Look at how much weight they had to put on one back tire to balance it out. o_O

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'd always bought my line from Custom Splice because they use a little higher grade fiber, and they have nice eyelets, rock guards, and accessories. I always ordered their 3/16" for my ATV's. But I just got some generic 1/4" line from a friend in a time pinch, and I had to cut 10' off to make it fit the spool. But being fatter line, it actually looks like it's less likely to jump the spool lip. And since I always carry over 100 feet of extra winch line, I'll never miss the 10 feet.
I'll run it this year and see what I think.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'd always bought my line from Custom Splice because they use a little higher grade fiber, and they have nice eyelets, rock guards, and accessories. I always ordered their 3/16" for my ATV's. But I just got some generic 1/4" line from a friend in a time pinch, and I had to cut 10' off to make it fit the spool. But being fatter line, it actually looks like it's less likely to jump the spool lip. And since I always carry over 100 feet of extra winch line, I'll never miss the 10 feet.
I'll run it this year and see what I think.
I'm on their website right now they have some pretty nice stuff

2881 - 2899 of 2899 Posts