Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

3081 - 3100 of 3139 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Got all the plastic pulled off so I can install the rebuilt heads I have ready to go on. Also installed the other rear diff I have as the brakes on the one that was in there were getting a little weak. That rear diff is a pain to remove and install as you have to take the fuel tank out to get at the top diff mount that you have to remove to get enough clearance to get the diff out.
Waiting on gaskets so I pulled enough stuff apart to make the job a little quicker once they get here.

Reactions: kickstart

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Got all the plastic pulled off so I can install the rebuilt heads I have ready to go on. Also installed the other rear diff I have as the brakes on the one that was in there were getting a little weak. That rear diff is a pain to remove and install as you have to take the fuel tank out to get at the top diff mount that you have to remove to get enough clearance to get the diff out.
Waiting on gaskets so I pulled enough stuff apart to make the job a little quicker once they get here.
View attachment 75964
View attachment 75965
I love the rear winch. I've thought about doing that several times. Did you have to fab up a mount bracket?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ya, I made that winch plate and the plate that houses the solenoids to run both winches. They make a rear winch plate mount that bolts on, but it is rather pricey.

Mine sits quite a bit higher than this mount, but theirs is removable whereas mine is welded right to the rear section of the frame that bolts to the main frame. Took a bit of time to get everything exactly where I wanted it, but it turned out really good, and to be honest, I use it quite a bit.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sorry Kickstart. Forgot you had the 700. Shouldn’t be too hard to get one on the back of the green machine!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Sorry Kickstart. Forgot you had the 700. Shouldn’t be too hard to get one on the back of the green machine!
No worries. I knew I was going to probably have to fab something for mine. That's the only reason why I don't have it done yet.
I'd like to make it removable because I'd only probably need it once or twice a year when I go to Moab and do the tougher trails.

Reactions: mastrblastr

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've seen setups where they have a 2" receiver hitch on the bike and a winch mount that pins into that receiver. Winch wire connection plugs into a custom harness on the bike. Nice setup, as it is removable, but you only put it on when you need it so it has to be stored somewhere on the bike when not in use. Also, it would be attached to the aluminum swingarm which isn't the best place to winch from IMO. Better off making something that would fit to the rear of the frame but still utilize the receiver hitch idea, as you could pin it on there when you go on the rides where you need it, and take it off when you don't.

·
Registered
85 KLT110, 08 Prairie360, 11 Prairie360, 11 Prairie360 Camo
69 Posts
Some small improvements: KLT had a dent in his gas tank when I bought him. Like maybe a knee, although the metal should probably be stronger than that-it seems pretty strong. Dent is visible here down by the seat....

·
Registered
69 Posts
So after I brought him home, I took the gas tank off and dropped it in Cheyenne at the paintless dent guys and I said I'll just pick it up whenever I come back through. Well I got it today and brought it home. Going to install the weekend, but decided nah I want to do it tonight. Came out really nice. I was concerned about maybe having a leak at the fuel valve but no leak! I had drained the carb bowl and he needed a little extra choke and a couple extra pulls but then running just fine. We took a little ride....really happy to have that done. Here it is now.........

·
Registered
69 Posts
Then after I bought him I also noticed that most KLTs have this little tie down bracket mounted behind the seat. Mine didn't-probably got taken off at some point-even though previous owners were collectors. At first I thought maybe mine didn't come with it-but they all do. So I tracked down a new-old-stock and I got that little item installed tonight as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Now I just wonder what exactly you are supposed to tie down to it? Ha ha. Maybe something that you have placed in the little open bin? Any ideas?

This little bugger could still wheelie, but with trikes being a hot commodity now, I think he has to start acting his age. (Will turn 37 on June 27th.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is kind of an overhead view of the KLT. I feel blessed to have found this one...I had missed on an 84 that was at an auction in Nebraska-just a days drive, and then also too late for an 85 KLT160 outside of El Paso that was really nice. Mine is also an 85, (built in 84) but my KLT110 is chain driven, while the KLT 160 is shaft. Kawi only made the 160 for a year-1985.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Here is kind of an overhead view of the KLT. I feel blessed to have found this one...I had missed on an 84 that was at an auction in Nebraska-just a days drive, and then also too late for an 85 KLT160 outside of El Paso that was really nice. Mine is also an 85, (built in 84) but my KLT110 is chain driven, while the KLT 160 is shaft. Kawi only made the 160 for a year-1985. View attachment 75987
AWESOME little machine you have there. Looks brand new. (y)

·
Registered
669 Posts
You must have the same disease my cousin has! My cousin Kevin has NUMEROUS Honda atc’s, from the 70 right up to the 350, and not just one of each. He’s obsessed with the things! He has quads as well but his heart is with 3 wheelers. I think at last count he had 18 of them!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep that Honda 3wheeler crowd are diehards. Collector grade 350x are now selling for 7k and up. I'm still more quad than trike, but like both. (Don't know why anybody buys Side by Sides) Being a Kawi guy in the 3wheeler world that's dominated by Honda's is like being a missionary bringing the gospel to New Guinea. Probably be cooked for dinner before you convert any of them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey there was one other job....Camo got a new chrome tow ball. If you want to give your Prairie 360 a little ego boost, get em a tow ball. Then they think they will get to pull the neighborhood kids around on tubes or help somebody out of the ditch......

·
Registered
69 Posts
This weekend these 2 are getting engine and gear oil changes and I'm gonna lube the chain on the little one. That's it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Got the heads changed but didn’t get everything back together yesterday. Found I had one valve leaking really bad from one exhaust valve seal. Will tear it all apart and order another set of Kibblewhite seals and redo those old heads as they were still functioning fine. Changing heads in the bike is a PITA. Glad I won’t have to do this job again anytime soon.

Reactions: rubiranch
3081 - 3100 of 3139 Posts