Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

3141 - 3160 of 3169 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts

I washed it.:)
Its due to get the oil and filters changed and then it needs to go for a ride. (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I lean on the part where I had help... I just get the opportunity to fix it.

I was told a dog ran out front of him... unfortunately that was proven to be correct based on the dead dog in vicinity. I actually had to get a tow to get it home. No way I was going to roll it home with one barely connected wheel going the opposite direction of the steer.

But hey - I am excited about the opportunity to make this one good looking machine....eventually paid for by the person who was dumb enough to do that to it.

...and yes dog unpredictable...that damage happened at least at 70...probably faster.... that was probably preventable simply because doing that speed in the desert, late at night, is what we call not smart

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Last week, I pulled out the check valve on the fuel tank, replaced it with a $3 fuel filter, and then ran fuel hose off it and ran it up the frame to the front hose clip where the airbox drain hoses come down.
Ran 400 miles and never had it blow gas out the cap or kill the engine. So nice.

Reactions: rubiranch

·
Registered
3,221 Posts

Indirectly, ;)

I put on new tires and greased the wheel bearings on the trailer that I haul my ATV on.
They were 6 going on 7 years old.
I put new ones on the week prior to picking up my BF when I bought it back n Aug 2014.

I didn't realize that they were that worn down until I set them next to the new ones.
I was replacing them due to their age.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Today, I got started on installing my new Warn winch. It's a little fatter and a little longer than my previous Warn, so some custom fitting was required. And of course, Warn has gone to different threads and bolt lengths now, so three trips to the hardware store were also required.😕 I didn't get it all buttoned up tonight, but I did get it wired up and bolted in. I tell you what, it's sweet! It's twice as fast and half the noise of my old one.

Figured while there was a big hole up front by the front diff, I might as well change the oil while it's easy to reach in there. Then I figured it's probably dumb to do the front and not the rear, so I did it too.😄

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Today, I got started on installing my new Warn winch. It's a little fatter and a little longer than my previous Warn, so some custom fitting was required. And of course, Warn has gone to different threads and bolt lengths now, so three trips to the hardware store were also required.😕 I didn't get it all buttoned up tonight, but I did get it wired up and bolted in. I tell you what, it's sweet! It's twice as fast and half the noise of my old one.

Figured while there was a big hole up front by the front diff, I might as well change the oil while it's easy to reach in there. Then I figured it's probably dumb to do the front and not the rear, so I did it too.😄
View attachment 76159
Wonder how they compare to kfi. I know they are twice the price though. If its worth it I wouldnt mind buying a new one. I have a 3500 right now

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I've had two KFI winches on my BF and my third winch is a Warn.
I hope the Warn lasts linger than the KFIs did. :p
All three were/are 2500 lb winches.
The Warn feel more powerful than the KFI winches to me.
It "sounds" better to me which I interpret to it being a higher quality winch.

At first I was a KFI fan because I got them for free. :ROFLMAO:
But to make things fair got the Warn for free too. ;)

I know this has been beat to death here before but I much prefer a synthetic
rope over a wire cable. None of the winches came with ropes so the cables
were replaced very soon after with ropes.

Kickstart, the blue rope has to go. ;)

Mean Green 50' 3/16" synthetic winch rope.

Put a loop in the other end of that blue rope and make it a 50' recovery rope. (y)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I've had two KFI winches on my BF and my third winch is a Warn.
I hope the Warn lasts linger than the KFIs did. :p
All three were/are 2500 lb winches.
The Warn feel more powerful than the KFI winches to me.
It "sounds" better to me which I interpret to it being a higher quality winch.

At first I was a KFI fan because I got them for free. :ROFLMAO:
But to make things fair got the Warn for free too. ;)

I know this has been beat to death here before but I much prefer a synthetic
rope over a wire cable. None of the winches came with ropes so the cables
were replaced very soon after with ropes.

Kickstart, the blue rope has to go. ;)

Mean Green 50' 3/16" synthetic winch rope.

Put a loop in the other end of that blue rope and make it a 50' recovery rope. (y)
Kenny,
What model of Warn winch is your's? VRX-25?
Also, your link to the green rope didn't work.
I've had green ones from Custom Splice before. I liked them, but I like the blue ones too. Just anything bright colored so I can see it spooling in that dark cave it sits in. I can't see the gray ones without a flashlight.

I took the cable off this new winch before I even bolted it in. But I am putting it on the shelf and saving it because I may go back to cable soon. Rope is nice in so many ways, but cable is much less cost and maintenance, and I'm starting to lean that way these days. Just losing my patience with rope. The winch is tucked away so much more on a Prairie than a Brute, and it's a pita to have to keep getting in there to replace fraying ropes.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Wonder how they compare to kfi. I know they are twice the price though. If its worth it I wouldnt mind buying a new one. I have a 3500 right now
Warn had a comparison chart at their booth at the Moab Easter Jeep Safari last month. According to that, Warn's do have better parts in certain areas. I should've taken a picture of it, but one thing I remember seeing was that my new Warn is the only truly waterproof winch on the market in a 2500/3500 size. The other's were rated "water resistant".

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Woke up early and got everything put back together. Nice having a winch again. I ran the last trip to the desert without one, and it just felt like I was riding naked.😄

Here's the main mod I had to make. The new winch required me to cut slots in the plastic tray above it. I also had to drill out one hole in the mount bracket to accommodate a larger bolt.

Reactions: Swanny52

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

Reactions: Swanny52

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Kenny,
What model of Warn winch is your's? VRX-25?

I take it back, its a 2000 lb winch, model number A2000. o_O

It was brand new still in the box on June 1st 2018 when I installed it.:ROFLMAO:

The date on the box was Feb 29, 2000. Its a Leap Year Winch. ;)

There's a chance it may have been sitting on someone's shelf for a few years before I got it. :p

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

I take it back, its a 2000 lb winch, model number A2000. o_O

It was brand new still in the box on June 1st 2018 when I installed it.:ROFLMAO:

The date on the box was Feb 29, 2000. Its a Leap Year Winch. ;)

There's a chance it may have been sitting on someone's shelf for a few years before I got it. :p
I guess that is probably the successor to my old one. I think it was sold from 05 to 09. Looks really similar.

So the KFI's didn't work out?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts

I've been thinking I was 112 miles past due on my oil change. 😢
As the oil was draining out I was thinking, "wow, that's clean for having over 600 miles on it". (y)
Took the lid off the air filter and it looked pretty good too so I went in and checked my records and yep,
I changed the oil Feb 4th so it only had 117 miles on it. :ROFLMAO:
There went $30 down the drain. :rolleyes:

3141 - 3160 of 3169 Posts