Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had two Prairie 360's, a 2006 and a 2011, and they have been exceptional. The are tough, stable and good-riding, although not very fast. Friends have machines that always seem to need repair, but mine are always ready to go, and they want something similar.

They don't make the 360's anymore, so what would you recommend that a friend buy, if they wanted something similar?
Make, model, and approx. price would be nice, if you happen to know.

Let me know what you think! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Not much in that CC range and not much in an SRA anymore but close to that size and reliability is the Yamaha Kodiak 450s. Base is about $6100. Might also take a look at the Polaris 570s. If cost is an issue and reliability...isn't, then the CFMoto C Force 450 and 500s are an option.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, NMK. I have always liked Yamaha, and reliability is most important to me. $6k is reasonable, as I think my Prairie was almost $5k when new, if I recall.

What is SRA? Single Rider ATV?

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Thanks, NMK. I have always like Yamaha, and reliability is most important to me. $6k is reasonable, as I think my Prairie was almost $5k when new, if I recall.

What is SRA? Single Rider ATV?
SRA= Solid Rear Axle...like your Prairie. IRS= Independent Rear Suspension...like most everything is today.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is having SRA a good or bad thing??? Fewer parts to break down, but not as nice a ride, maybe?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Is having SRA a good or bad thing??? Fewer parts to break down, but not as nice a ride, maybe?
Sra's are better at almost everything except ride softness. But that totally depends on the particular SRA. The Prairies and KFX had the most comfortable swingarm ever made. Some of the Hondas were kidney killers, and some of the Yamahas were in between. The ride difference between my Prairie and my Wolverine SRAs is night and day. And last week, I rode a Polaris IRS that was a bit harsher than my Prairie.
But as NMK said, you don't have much of a choice these days. It's a shame.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Too bad the Brute 300 is only 2wd. It's a pretty peppy little quad otherwise.
The Outlander 400 (or 450) is also one to look at. Now that they are considered a base model in anything under a 650cc, you can get the smaller displacement models for pretty cheap....At least, until this year. Everything is commanding top dollar right now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sra's are better at almost everything except ride softness.
Thanks, Kickstart. I don't have anything to compare to but my Prairie, which seems to ride great, in my opinion.

Too bad the Brute 300 is only 2wd. It's a pretty peppy little quad otherwise.
The Outlander 400 (or 450) is also one to look at. Now that they are considered a base model in anything under a 650cc, you can get the smaller displacement models for pretty cheap....At least, until this year. Everything is commanding top dollar right now.
I did a quick search for a Prairie 700, as they seem to be a very highly rated older machine. I hoped I could find a decent one for $2,500 - $3k. There were very few of them, and they were $4-5K, which seems high, considering the ages. (12-16 years old) One claimed to only have 300 miles, yet it had an oil leak, which was very suspicious.

I saw a nice Brute 300, but it was $5k. How peppy are they? Similar or faster than my 2011 Prairie 360?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I've been out shopping lately for a Prairie 650 for my hunting partner, and a Brute 750 for a friend (and maybe one for me as well), and there is almost nothing around here. I did find one 2012 BF750 here, but it's at a dealer and they are having a hard time getting the title from the dead owner's widow. The next closest one is 460 miles away. And they want a grand more than it was worth in February. Crazy.

Check out some of the videos of the Brute 300 on YT. Lots of people like them. Just too bad they don't have 4wd.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip. Looks very similar to mine, maybe a bit faster, though. Mine runs about 40, the brute 300 says 51 mph. But mine is rated to tow a 1,000 lb trailer, whereas the 300 is only rated for 500 lbs. When I'm hauling firewood, that would be a problem.

Going to also look at some vids for the Yamaha, and forward both to my friends. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
12,576 Posts
Lots of good suggestions above ^^^^
Used ATV prices are crazy right now; seems like COVID started a spending spree!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here in western Canada the prices have gone through the roof. I was looking for a winter project and thought I could pick up an older Brute 750 to tinker on. WRONG!!! Can get a brand new one with EPS for 12K, and they want 8K for a '13 with 4800kms!?!! Guess I'll be upgrading the '06 to keep myself amused!!!

If I was looking at a smaller CC machine, I'd look at the Outlander 450. I rode an older 400 a few years back and couldn't believe how much jam it had. Really impressed me. That being said, the Hondas are just bombproof. I have a friend with a 2000 450ES with about 40,000kms on it. Engine has never been rebuilt, and it's still going. Unbelievable reliability. Have quite a few friends who have 500 Rubi's and they are just a tank. Can't kill 'em!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have continued to search, and wow, you are right. Everything I can find for a reasonable price has already sold by the time I click. Even local craigslist ads are through the roof. Boats are the same way, which is good for me, as I just sold one of mine for about $2K higher than I could last year. I'll keep looking, though. Just need to be very quick, if I see a good one.

Maybe I'll post a "looking for" thread. Never know, it might spur someone to sell who has one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can’t go wrong with a kodiak 450 . I am in Alberta and I was looking at selling my quad and getting another grizzly but wow the prices are astronomical. About 13-14k for a new grizzly and they wanted to give me 6800 for my 18 with 350km lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not much in that CC range and not much in an SRA anymore but close to that size and reliability is the Yamaha Kodiak 450s. Base is about $6100. Might also take a look at the Polaris 570s. If cost is an issue and reliability...isn't, then the CFMoto C Force 450 and 500s are an option.
I would not look at the Polaris 570, they seem to have had a lot of issues with them. Plus, in my experience, Polaris is just looking out for their own pocket books and not their customers. Seems like every item I have ever replaced on a polaris was just bad design or subpar factory components.

As far as CFMOTO goes, I've been researching into them alot lately and it seems that they have made a lot of improvements for the 2019 and 2020 model year quads. If you are looking for smaller displacement I wouldn't hesitate to look at their CForce 500.

The Yamaha and Can am 450's seem pretty nice and alot peppier than you would think and they both produce reliable units.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I'm not a Polaris fan the the Forest Service here has several them and they have al been very reliable and trouble free. In fact when they spec the bids for new ATVs the Polaris 570 is about the only one that meets the specs so that's all they buy anymore.

I have a good friend that has two Kodiak 450s and he loves them. I don't think you could go wrong buying a Yamaha.

I spent some seat time on a Brute 300, maybe a couple hundred miles. Its made by Kimco or some other Chinese company and to me it felt really cheap. I didn't care for it at all.

For the rare occasion that a SRA might have an advantage over a IRS I wouldn't never consider having one.

My Honda Rubicon had SRA and the Polaris 550 Touring I had felt even more stable than my Honda did and way more stable than my BF 750i.

If I was looking for a new ATV in the 400 cc range I'd look at the 450 Kodiak and the Honda Rancher.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts