Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what octane gas do you use? I have a 04 prairie 700 and it runs better on 87 octane than on 94 octane is this possible???:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
i run 113 or 116 octane...(cant remember) :D when im racing.

93 when im just putting around. :cool:

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Stock engines run better on mid grade and you wouldnt think so at above 10.1 comp ratio but they do its just what ive found even on 300ft and a clock. More compression requires more octane and its like calories too much is unneeded and will slow you down some.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
Hey guys what octane gas do you use? I have a 04 prairie 700 and it runs better on 87 octane than on 94 octane is this possible???:confused:
yes, high octane only helps in higher compression motors, the slower burning nature of it will actually hurt your performance in low compression motors

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do you still use the lower octane even with a 6 degree timing advance? I was thinking that i had to use 93 just because of the timing advance:confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
when I bought my 700 it had a copperhead box with a 93 program supposedly so I just run 93,runs awesome.There is a switch on the side if I want to use 87.Never tried so don't know.My motor is stock otherwise

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
I run sunoco 87. with my mods, and never had any problems

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
Do you still use the lower octane even with a 6 degree timing advance? I was thinking that i had to use 93 just because of the timing advance:confused:
yes you should run higher octane with more timing

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
you can run 87 oct fuel with a 6deg key, as long as you rejet the carbs. if your just doing a deg key and dont plane on rejetting midgrade will work fine. I been running my machine with my mods for over two yrs now, and still no problems other then normal wear items. when i get VFJ crossover intakes and get the carbs dialed in on the dyno ill be switching to 93 as this is the OCT you find at the on trail fuel stops in tughill NY, as this is what they run in the sleds in the winter, and 93 is the only oct you can find at the trail side stops. so ill be dialing the carbs to run my all stock internal engine to run at top performance with the high oct gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts