Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 prairie 650. Primary Clutch is bad. Lots of sheath grooving. Will newer brute clutches fit? I know the secondarys do. I have one off an 08 on it. Also seen a cv tech aftermarket clutch for it. Has anyone ever used them on a prairie before? Any info would be great.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Yep, anything will work. The 03 and newer have the longer weight pins and are better than the 02's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks. I was under the impression that they changed the taper Size on the crank after 03. Coulda have bought one years ago. Haha.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Awesome thanks. I was under the impression that they changed the taper Size on the crank after 03. Coulda have bought one years ago. Haha.
I don't think so. My buddy put a BF750 primary and a Bf750 secondary on his 02. Runs fine as far as I know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s good to know. The selection of 02 03 clutches are limited on eBay. There expensive and beat bad. That’s why I was thinking aftermarket and I’m not a fan of that.

·
Super Moderator
12,578 Posts
Yep, anything will work. The 03 and newer have the longer weight pins and are better than the 02's.
I don't think the weights/pins changed until well into the Brute Force era.
Any clutch is better than the 2002 clutch, the bushings were upgraded for 2003.
And back to the original question: the crank taper has never changed, and any clutch can be interchanged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the bushings were only bad in the secondary clutches? The primary bushings were bad too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the bushings were only bad in the secondary clutches? The primary bushings were bad too?

·
Super Moderator
12,578 Posts
There was something different about the 2002 primary clutches. VFJ knows exactly what it is; the consensus seemed to be that they weren't even worth rebuilding.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I don't think the weights/pins changed until well into the Brute Force era.
Any clutch is better than the 2002 clutch, the bushings were upgraded for 2003.
And back to the original question: the crank taper has never changed, and any clutch can be interchanged.
I've played around with an 02 and an 03 primary because my hunting partner has an 02 and two of my uncles have 03's. They were different. Lots of things were different on the 02's. Low gas warning, no belt light, completely different airbox and filter, no axle cups, and narrower clutches.

Funny you should mention VFJ said the 02's clutches suck. My partner's totally $#!t the bed at 3500 miles. When I took them off to see what was wrong, they basically fell apart in my hands.😯

·
Super Moderator
12,578 Posts
All those things were different for 2003. I don't know why they went away from the flat filter; I don't think the round filter added any flow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I know about a few of those changes. Since my buddy has an 03 that I worked on for him. The CDI/ ignition module on the 02 only has 2 connections, where the 03 has 3. But I’m glad to know about the clutches. Mine pulls hard out of the hole. Then feels slow after about 40 mph then eventually gets to top speed. I
Feel like that could be from the worn bushings in the clutch. Not letting the clutch pull the belt up fast enough. Either way I want a newer clutch. It will harder to find on now the border is shut. I’m from Canada and I always go to the US to get cheaper parts.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
All those things were different for 2003. I don't know why they went away from the flat filter; I don't think the round filter added any flow.
The round probably didn't add airflow, but it definitely seals off better and collects more junk. That flat filter was not very good. My partner said his warped and was no longer flat after just a couple rides.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Yeah I know about a few of those changes. Since my buddy has an 03 that I worked on for him. The CDI/ ignition module on the 02 only has 2 connections, where the 03 has 3. But I’m glad to know about the clutches. Mine pulls hard out of the hole. Then feels slow after about 40 mph then eventually gets to top speed. I
Feel like that could be from the worn bushings in the clutch. Not letting the clutch pull the belt up fast enough. Either way I want a newer clutch. It will harder to find on now the border is shut. I’m from Canada and I always go to the US to get cheaper parts.
Yes, I forgot about the CDI. Two plug vs 3. Hard to find a Dynatek for the 2 plugger. We had to go directly to Dynatek to get one, and when it finally came, it didn't work. Had to order another one.

·
Super Moderator
12,578 Posts
The round probably didn't add airflow, but it definitely seals off better and collects more junk. That flat filter was not very good. My partner said his warped and was no longer flat after just a couple rides.
I've been running the flat one for 19 years, lol. No issues.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I've been running the flat one for 19 years, lol. No issues.
Yeah, well I'd bet you maintain your stuff better than my partner does! 😆
His idea of cleaning his air filter is to take it out once a decade and beat it against the tire.🤣

1 - 16 of 16 Posts