Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bout to do a std bore hc piston and cam install and need to "deglaze" the cylinders. Flex hone sells a 83 and 89mm hone but not a 85mm. Which one to use?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not saying you are wrong but I was reading old post where John was saying he uses the flex hone on the brute cylinders. what is the difference between the 2?

·
Registered
787 Posts
That may be true with the aluminum cylinders. I know with steel cylinders they crosshatch better.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks exactly like the flex hone. I guess they are just different names for the same thing?

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
that's a ball hone. and what he was talking about. Flexhone makes them.

be sure you get the one with the Aluminum oxide balls on it NOT the silicone carbide. 280 grit.

I think the one I have is 89mm. I can't remember. but if you read the spec's of the hone they will tell you what sizes to get.

I get mine from MSCdirect.com. just because I can drive 30 miles to pick it up in an hour

Here's a tip when you do them.

put the 2 cylinders together as one long cylinder. I use 2 clamps to tighten them together. The cylinders will be offset. if you have a piston that goes with the cylinders set that in as a "jig" and then clamp them so you can ensure that it's a perfect fit. This way the balls don't scar the surface of the headgasket seating surface.

when you are done. wash them with dish soap and water. Oil them with a clean paper towel or rag until all the grit comes out of the cylinder, then wipe them with clean oil and you are set.

it doesn't take much to do it. just a few runs at low speed. also use a surfectant like Kero or Diesel fluid for the hone. a gallon or 2 in a bucket works just fine.

John

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John! I am a little slow so I am kind of confused on the set up you are discribing. :hmm:

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
put the 2 cylinders together headgasket-headgasket surfaces touching

clamp them so they are 1 long cylinder and the 2 bores are perfectly aligned. (this is where using a piston to align it comes in handy) don't worry about the rest of the cylinder. JUST ALIGN THE BORE.

hone away. slow speed, plenty of fuel on them

if you hone in an individual cylinder, the hone balls will scar the head gasket surface and will most likely cause a gasket leak.

John

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts