Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about taking my down payment money i have for a new truck and buying/selling some stuff to make it a little bigger, anyone do much of this? whats the best type of stuff to do?

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
As long as it is something you can work on yourself...pretyy much anything, ie: houses, cars, atvs...

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I do it all the time..mostly ATV parts, older cars, etc.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Tractors...........Garden and utility size..............utility trailers also............before long lots of people will be wanting them ............no titles to worry with............just fix them up .........paint if you want and turn them over..............make sure parts are available for any tractor you buy if it needs fixing..............

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
I buy cars and trucks when I can afford to.
I bought a 99 Pontiac Montana that had blown head gaskets. Had $900 into it, and sold it for $4100.
I had that 96 Grand Cherokee that I bought for $400, was a stolen recovery. I replaced the cylinder head, the steering column, transmission, put a 4.5" lift on it along with rims and tires. Made nearly $2000 on it.
I bought a 2001 2500HD silverado after that for $4600. Was a very, very clean 1 owner truck. Replaced the flywheel, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, steering gear, front and rear brakes and rotors, and threw on a set of 285's I had given to me. Had about $5100 into it total. Sold it for $9500 after 6 months of owning it.
There have been others, but these are the most recent ones I've "flipped".
I could never afford to buy a new vehicle, at least ever since I've had my house. So, I buy only used cars that I could make money on if I decide to sell. I mainly look for the ones that need major mechanical work, since that is the type of work I do for a living.
I regret selling that HD, but I had to do it. I'm still about $7000 in debt, looking to get that taken care of this year. My main problem is my job, being paid buy the job. I don't get paid hourly, not salary, comission is pretty much a $10 bonus every 2 weeks. I never know what my pay check will be. No cars to work on = no money, and there is no guarentee on hours either.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I used to go to swap meets on the last day and buy stuff cheap because the vendors don't want to bring it home.Then I would turn around and sell it for more.I would also drive around on trash day and find lawn mower and lawntractors and fix them up and sell them.Alot of people throw lawn mowers out because they can't get them running .Most of the time they just need a little carb work .

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I have been trying to think of some of that sort of stuff myself. I have some of general ATV repair but other than my V, I don't think I would be all that comfortable tearing apart the motor of any other 4-stroke.

I have been kicking around buying ATV tires (used or new) and modifying them (studs and/or lightening and/or tread modification) and reselling them for dirt drags, ice racing, etc. I have a thread going right now that I am asking some questions about tires for dirt drags because I haven't ever raced on dirt. I actually just bought 4 used 9x9 Douglas wheels last night but haven't bitten the bullet and ordered the tires yet. I am trying to make sure that I am not going to be stuck with something that I can't sell.

There is a guy (and his dad) that I work with that buys cars off craigslist, cleans them up and does any minor repairs that are needed and resells them on craigslist for $500-$1500+ profit per car. I think they sold 18 cars last year. I would like to do the same but don't have the money to buy the car in the first place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts