Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting my bike back in a couple weeks from Glenn.. I was thinking I'll need a little something to help keep it cool.. Any suggestions on the best coolant out there ?? I was looking at engine ice, water wetter, super cool on highlifter (Expensive!!), and a few others..Do any of you use any of these ?? Any input would be appreciated..I Don't wanna F*** up 4 grand !!!!:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
i've used engine ice and water wetter. Both do as claimed but the water wetter has no real freeze protection in it so not a good idea unless you want to change it out every winter. Also it reacts more quickly too. When stopped it will heat up faster but will also cool faster when moving so also not very helpful.

Engine ice was close to the same but some freeze protection and not quite as volatile temp wise, but it did still bring the running temp down ~15 degrees.

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
stick to 50/50

if your coolant system is in good order, you should have no problems. If something is wrong with it, the alternative coolants won't do much for you either.

get you a good temp gauge., the coolant system is made to operate around the 170-200* range. Thermostat opens at 160*, fan kicks on at around 205* and off at 200*

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Use Prestone full strength and mix it with natural spring water. Less likely for it to rust...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
IMO any coolant will work just fine, mixed 50/50, your water pump/radiator/thermostat/fan should keep it cool enough.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If you improve coolant flow you should also get a larger radiator. just making the coolant flow more won't make it cool better. It needs to spend time in the radiator to be cooled.

·
Registered
28 Posts
works great and is proven in many, many teryx's. the teryx needs help cooling in a big way and even the pwr rad is getting mixed results. no-one has any issues with the impellers, they just work!

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
If there are no issues with the motor. A working stock cooling system will be fine. Most motors make there peak HP at a specific temp, so you want it to heat up to a certain point. So being too cool can be an issue as well a too hot.

Bigger radiators have not done much other than allow you to run a little more coolant. I never noticed a big difference when running water wetter, but that is supposed to be mixed with distilled water I believe to be the most effective. I never did that. As mentioned above, that wouldn't give you any protection from freezing.

If you are racing, or riding where you know if you are overheating and you do not want to stop, can't stop to let it cool down. That is when you will want to run a waterless Coolant like Evans. It won't boil out of your system as quickly. Actually I believe it has melted parts before blowing out. That way if your fan stops running, radiator is clogged. This stuff will help you get to the finish line.

Prestone 50/50 works the best all around though. I personally wouldn't bother with the different fan blades or water pump propeller unless you see your temps running too high, or you don't like your fan kicking on and off as much. It would also depend on the ambient temps in the area you live too.

Also, consider what fuel you will be running. If you are gonna be running higher octane race fuel. That will also lower your temps. You might want to run the motor with the 50/50 mix and monitor the temps before you go out wasting money on new radiators, propeller, waterless coolant, and fans..

Good Luck with the new motor.

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
Evans is the best!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I run engine ice in my prairie with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water.I'm out in the woods and in mud alot so sometimes the radiator will start to clog up before you can get to a place to clean it out .With the engine ice I haven't had to pull over to cool down any more.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback guys.. My cooling system works fine. I just figured with the bbk it would run alot hotter than a stock motor..Think i'll try the 50/50 and maybe some engine ice if I have any issues..Thanks again...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I run some stuff by liquid performance... Not sure the exact name but it is orange and made by liquid performance... Works pretty good

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys.. My cooling system works fine. I just figured with the bbk it would run alot hotter than a stock motor..Think i'll try the 50/50 and maybe some engine ice if I have any issues..Thanks again...
I run an 840. I do have a Fluidyne radiator and Spal fan though, no problems running the 50/50

1 - 15 of 15 Posts