Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Wheel Spacer help

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Muler 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I've got a 2003 prairie 650. I've only had it for a few months. It has a 2" lift, factory wheels, and AT27 x 12 -12 (back) AT27 x 9 - 12 (front) tires. With that set up it seem pretty tippy and not very stable. I was looking to get some wheel spacers. Looking at all the different kinds I'm concerned about fitment and being centered. The wheels have flat lugnuts and the hubs have a centering ring or lip for the wheel. Can someone provide me with some insight on what works in terms of wheel spacers? Thanks.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

See less See more
#2 ·
Just get hub-centric or hub centering spacers. They may have the flat lugs for mounting but maybe not..its not important. What is important is that the mounting bore fit the tabs on the hub and the wheel side provide the flange to center that wheel. What may also be important is the bolt pattern and the fronts and backs may...may be different. So measure across the tabs for the needed bore size and across the studs for the pattern. It will be metric. Width-don't go any more then you have to and keep them all the same if you are using the stock wheels.

#3 ·
FYI caution on the reassembly with spacers, looks like it would then be 8 studs per wheel with existing four on spacer and four to attach wheel. Wire brushed threads ok but I read that no lubricant or “never seize“ compound on lug threads as it effects actual torque readings and you can over tighten causing excessive strain on wheel lugs. Also wheel spacers on front can negatively impact steering geometry, probably still be tolerable in most cases. When the spacer is added, the steering hubs (front) will travel through a bigger arc which I assume is not what it was originally engineered for and the wheel bearings will see additional loading as well because of the modified offset. Can’t say it doesn’t work because lots of people add wheel spacers but just be aware usually has some caveats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.