Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into putting a set of wheel spacers on my 09 brute 750 to combat some of it's tendency to want to roll on hard turns as well as it's high center of gravity. My question is will the spacers improve the handeling of the quad. Also what's a good size to go with I've seen between 1 and 2" for spacers. With the spacers installed is there any extra wear on the quad and does it put the wheels much farther out and cause them to throw up more mud around the quad instead of keeping it in the wheel wells. Any helps appreciated guys thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
what kind/size tires/wheels do you currently run? are you running any lift?

as far as the handling of the quad, it will improve the side to side handling a little, keep it from rolling as easy... it might make your turning radius wider than it currently is, but with a Brute with big tires and stuff, it's already like driving a bus when you try to make tight turns...

the size spacer depends on how much you want.. most use 1.5 or 2" spacers... whatever size you use, it will put the wheels out that far on both sides of the bike, so if you use 2" on all wheels, it will be 4" total wider than before... and the tires will stick out 2" more past the fenders on each side, therefore throwing more mud on you...

and as far as extra wear on the quad... some say they cause more stress on the knuckles and wheel bearings, but I don't think it's really a lot to worry about...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Spacers will improve the tippy feeling. If your not into big tires and ground clearance, I designed a lowering kit for the Brute 4 years ago that has sold really well. It lowers it 2 inchs and it handles like a sport bike. My partner (Drat) markets and sells them. If this sounds like something you might be interested in let me know. I have a product review on the kit over on NYROC ATV.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of a bruteforce 650 sra with 2inch wheel spacers?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just did a 2" lift and lost 1" in width. Added 1" spacers on all 4 wheels and it's at 49" Handles great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
08 and up are already lowered compared to the older models. My 09 is always dragging it's belly.

First off, if you have the stock tires, get rid of them. I've never seen such crappy tires put on a bike. They make the old Titan 489's look good, and that's really saying something. No use putting spacers on when your sidewall is flexing that bad. A little wider wouldn't hurt either. Going to Gators on my Cat was like night and day. On the brute I have outlaws and don't have a problem with it rolling. Don't waste money on spacers with stock tires.

Spacers add stress, but if you are running stock (or close) tire sizes I wouldn't worry about it. If the tires stick out you can add flares called Overfenders. I have them to cover my outlaws and they work great.

In the off chance that you just bought the bike, give it time. You'll get used to the handling. Try a Grizzly, they spend more time on their side than they do upright. After one day on it you'll think the brute was a Ferrari.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm looking into putting a set of wheel spacers on my 09 brute 750 to combat some of it's tendency to want to roll on hard turns as well as it's high center of gravity. My question is will the spacers improve the handeling of the quad. Also what's a good size to go with I've seen between 1 and 2" for spacers. With the spacers installed is there any extra wear on the quad and does it put the wheels much farther out and cause them to throw up more mud around the quad instead of keeping it in the wheel wells. Any helps appreciated guys thanks
You might also want to experiment with the shock pre-load. A couple of clicks on front and back will stiffen it up.........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive had the quad for about a year now as for the shocks ive been running them at their stiffest setting with the tire pressure at 7psi and thats given me the best performance so far. as for tires i still have the stock ones but i would like to upgrade to a good 6ply when i replace them. what would you guys suggest for a good tire to replace them with? also have you guys stayed with stock size tires or went bigger?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Totally depends on the terrain you ride in. Need more ground clearance? Go bigger. Flat, high speed trails, stay near stock sizes. Maxxis Bighorn are popular for the trail guys around here and Gators or Mud Bugs for the guys that do mud but don't want a "pure mud" tire like an Outlaw. Zillas are somewhere in between.

What are your priorities? Smooth ride? Dirt performance? Mud performance? High speed? Low speed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i ride mostly dirt and rocky terrain and i love flying through it so i am looking for something that will handle well at high speeds. as for ground clearance ive not had an issue anywhere ive been riding so i dont think i will go much bigger in tire size. maybe ill take a look at the maxxis tire you suggested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I would suggest the bighorns 26"... Those should do good for ya

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Yeah I would suggest the bighorns 26"... Those should do good for ya
Are wheel spacers needed for say 26" or 27" Big horns? Don't want it to rub with stock wheels. If so what spacer would you recommend?
Won't need them but stay not over an inch wider then the stock tire width.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Are wheel spacers needed for say 26" or 27" Big horns? Don't want it to rub with stock wheels. If so what spacer would you recommend?
Won't need them but stay not over an inch wider then the stock tire width.
So 27's 9's in the front and 12's in the rear will fit with no spacers?
The 9s will be fine but the 12's in the rear are 2"s over stock and will..or can rub using the stock wheels..stock is 8s and 10s, stay with 9s and 11s and you will be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately they don't make 11's for the rear. I'll just get 2" wheel spacers. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK. Think 26's are a better option? I would rather not use wheel spacers. 26x9 front and 26x12 rear.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
OK. Think 26's are a better option? I would rather not use wheel spacers. 26x9 front and 26x12 rear.

It's the width that's the problem, not the height...the 12s on the rear with a stock wheel will rub...doesn't matter if they are 26"s tall or 29"s tall. It will rub the tank guard on one side and the muffler on the other..been there...done it myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
NHATV
Kawasaki ATV Forum
KawieRiders.com is the largest Kawasaki ATV owner's forum with information for the Kawasaki KFX700, Brute Force, Prairie, Bayou, Mojave, Lakota and older model Kawasaki ATV's!
Full Forum Listing