Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Where is the Power?

59K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Swanny52 
#1 ·
Still learning about my Mule and getting ready to add some accessories. Last night I was looking in the front compartment with a flashlight and found a couple open wire ends I hadn't seen before! I had to reach around the wire panel and push/pull them through the hole in the top/center of it. These two wires are designated as "Accessory Terminals Front" in the wiring diagram. One wire is Black/Yellow (Ground) and the other one is Brown/Red which is 12V @ Ignition on from Fuse Box 1, Fuse #3, 15A, the Accessory Fuse (Front).

Because it was just dumb luck that helped me find them and, I have never heard anyone mention them, I thought I'd do another version of the Wiring Diagram adding the locations where Kawasaki put wire ends that we can use to connect accessories. This should be of some help to newbies like me that don't have someone nearby that can point out these locations. :laugh:

Cheers,

Attachments

#2 ·
Perfect timing! I am going to do some LED light bar installations this coming weekend. Now I have a starting place!

Cheers!

#3 ·
When you buy a Kawasaki brand electrical accessory The instructions tell you where to locate these pre-installed accessory wires/terminals. I just learned this when I added the led lights to replace the halogens. Both lights and switch were plug and play. My understanding is fully pre-wired harnesses are standard on mule pro's

#4 ·
Bigfish, did you happen to view the PDF in my first post on this thread. It shows the three places that Kaw provides for Plug and Play into the 12v circuits.

1) Front - Left side of the front area (Female Spade Connectors). "Horn Accessory" is a Brown/Yellow wire with 12v @ Ignition on from Fuse Box 1, Fuse #5, the 20A Light Fuse. You can plug directly into Ground on the right side up front to the Black/Yellow Horn Button Accessory wire.

2) Front - Center of the front area (Female Barrel Connectors). "Accessory Terminals Front" is a Brown/Red wire with 12v @ Ignition on from Fuse Box 1, Fuse #3, the 15A Accessory Fuse Front. There is also a Ground there - Black/Yellow.

3) Rear - Right rear area along the frame (Female Spade Connectors)." Accessory Terminals Rear" is a Brown/White wire with 12v @ Ignition on from Fuse Box 1, Fuse #4, the 15A Accessory Fuse Rear. There is also a Ground there - Black/Yellow wire.

#6 · (Edited)
Mine was a straight swap
It sounds like yours came with 2 lights and 2 blanks . Pretty easy to check visually or find a diagram.
My mule pro fxr comes with 4 headlights up front. Unfortunately two are LED and two are lousy halogens. The LEDs are extremely white bright lights the halogens are yellowish and just ok light wise. When all four are on the it looked terrible..... as if you replaced two of the lights with old car headlights. Kawasaki will happily sell you another pair of LED's that match for $270. This makes the machine look perfect, like you would have expected from the beginning. These are similar to sealed beams, not just "bulbs".

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/2018-mule-pro-fxr/led-headlight-set/KAF820KJF/999940959

It looks like a similar option is available for yours... which makes me think those plugs are there. But hang on to your wallet yours seem to be more expensive

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessorie...fx-eps/led-headlight-set/KAF820FHFL/999941071

Compare the two and ask yourself.. are they different other than price ? If they're returnable I'd start with the ones I got !

hope that helps

#7 ·
I have 2 led light bars on the front. 2 narrow focus spot lights on the front also. Also have 4 led flood lights for my sides and rear. And a winch. Everything is on rocker switches in the cab.

I do a lot of hog hunting at night and knew I would be adding a lot of lights/accessories. The best thing I did was initially buy a marine grade fuse block and connect it directly from the battery. I located it in the relay panel under the front hood. It gave me many options for the current and future upgrades.

#8 ·
I have 2 led light bars on the front. 2 narrow focus spot lights on the front also. Also have 4 led flood lights for my sides and rear. And a winch. Everything is on rocker switches in the cab.

I do a lot of hog hunting at night and knew I would be adding a lot of lights/accessories. The best thing I did was initially buy a marine grade fuse block and connect it directly from the battery. I located it in the relay panel under the front hood. It gave me many options for the current and future upgrades.

Smart man!

#9 ·
I have a ranch edition which came with a fuse box in the front for the winch. Is there any reason I couldn't make that fuse box constant power? Is it on your diagram anywhere? I have my stereo hooked up to it right now and the ignition has to be on for it to work.

Thanks,
Toxey

#13 ·
I have a ranch edition which came with a fuse box in the front for the winch. Is there any reason I couldn't make that fuse box constant power? Is it on your diagram anywhere? I have my stereo hooked up to it right now and the ignition has to be on for it to work.

Thanks,
Toxey
Good morning Toxey! I am sure that could be done, especially if you were closer however, Prattville is quite a few miles from the Huntsville area! I don't know how they wired in the fuse box and it is NOT included in the overall wiring diagram. Do you know how to use a voltmeter or a 12 volt voltage probe? If so, check the wires coming into the fuse box for a HOT (12v) lead. I would think there should be a large (1/4" diameter or bigger) wire coming into it which should come from the battery and be HOT all the time. If you find that wire you should be able to tap power from it to your radio via an appropriately sized fuse. Let me know what you find and take some photos of the box. Good luck!

Yes it is! I finally found the instructions on how to wire the fuse box. https://www.fuse-branch2-kawasaki.com/Content/Uploads/Accessories/KAF080076/ii_KAF080076.pdf. Mine is installed exactly like this. I don’t know much about wiring but I’m assuming the relay at the battery area is what is causing it to not be constant power. Could I just take off the relay so the box up front is constant hot ? I’ve attached a picture of my fuse box in the front as well

View attachment 66753

Thanks,
Toxey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toxey,

Here are two options that would allow you to control the power (12V) to the Add-On Fuse Box. Yes, you could move the HOT lead on the Add-On Relay to the Add-On Fuse Box side and it would always be HOT. If you are the only one using the Mule that could work but I would worry about others flipping stuff on without you knowing about it and draining your battery. The options I show allow you control when that Add-On Fuse Box goes HOT. They would not affect normal operations if left in the ON or OFF positions. And, you can turn power off if the Mule is going to sit for an extended period. If yours is a Ranch Edition you have a winch, yes? I wouldn't want anyone messing with the winch if I wasn't around. But, that's my 2 cents worth! :laugh:

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Still learning about my Mule and getting ready to add some accessories. Last night I was looking in the front compartment with a flashlight and found a couple open wire ends I hadn't seen before! I had to reach around the wire panel and push/pull them through the hole in the top/center of it. These two wires are designated as "Accessory Terminals Front" in the wiring diagram. One wire is Black/Yellow (Ground) and the other one is Brown/Red which is 12V @ Ignition on from Fuse Box 1, Fuse #3, 15A, the Accessory Fuse (Front).
Because it was just dumb luck that helped me find them and, I have never heard anyone mention them, I thought I'd do another version of the Wiring Diagram adding the locations where Kawasaki put wire ends that we can use to connect accessories. This should be of some help to newbies like me that don't have someone nearby that can point out these locations. :laugh:

Cheers,

Thanks,
Toxey
Good morning Toxey! I am sure that could be done, especially if you were closer however, Prattville is quite a few miles from the Huntsville area! :frown2:

I don't know how they wired in the fuse box and it is NOT included in the overall wiring diagram. I attached a picture of the Kaw Fuse Box Kit. Does your box look like it? If so, where is it located on your Mule? I would think it should be up front? If it is, do you see the silver part which is a relay/solenoid. If it is all up front, one side of the relay should always be HOT. Do you know how to use a voltmeter or a 12 volt voltage probe? If so, check the wires on the relay for the HOT (12v) lead. If you find the relay and one side is HOT you can tap power from it to your radio via an appropriately sized inline fuse. Disconnect the Ground at the battery before messing with those HOT leads!

Let me know what you find and take some photos of the box. Good luck!

Attachments

#11 ·

Cheers,

Thanks,
Toxey
Good morning Toxey! I am sure that could be done, especially if you were closer however, Prattville is quite a few miles from the Huntsville area! I don't know how they wired in the fuse box and it is NOT included in the overall wiring diagram. Do you know how to use a voltmeter or a 12 volt voltage probe? If so, check the wires coming into the fuse box for a HOT (12v) lead. I would think there should be a large (1/4" diameter or bigger) wire coming into it which should come from the battery and be HOT all the time. If you find that wire you should be able to tap power from it to your radio via an appropriately sized fuse. Let me know what you find and take some photos of the box. Good luck!

Yes it is! I finally found the instructions on how to wire the fuse box. https://www.fuse-branch2-kawasaki.com/Content/Uploads/Accessories/KAF080076/ii_KAF080076.pdf. Mine is installed exactly like this. I don’t know much about wiring but I’m assuming the relay at the battery area is what is causing it to not be constant power. Could I just take off the relay so the box up front is constant hot ? I’ve attached a picture of my fuse box in the front as well

Wire Electrical wiring Electronics Technology Cable

Thanks,
Toxey

#12 ·

Cheers,

Thanks,
Toxey

Toxey,

I found a PDF of the Kaw Fuse Box Installation instructions. Your Fuse Box should be up front and the Relay should be attached to the battery. Give me some time to study how this is wired up and I should be able to suggest a solution to your concern.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Rick,
I really do appreciate it. I just got home and as a temporary fix I just put a wire between the hot side (straight from battery) of the add on relay to the add on brown wire and it works like a charm. I might actually keep it like that and run a switch from the add on fuse box to the speaker. I’ll just be careful and make sure I don’t have stuff plugged into the accessory plugs when I store it. Thanks !!!!

***update
Thought it was working perfect but I noticed my winch rocker switch is constantly lit up now so i guess I’ll definitely be doing option 2

#16 · (Edited)
Rick,
I really do appreciate it. I just got home and as a temporary fix I just put a wire between the hot side (straight from battery) of the add on relay to the add on brown wire and it works like a charm. I might actually keep it like that and run a switch from the add on fuse box to the speaker. I’ll just be careful and make sure I don’t have stuff plugged into the accessory plugs when I store it. Thanks !!!!

***update
Thought it was working perfect but I noticed my winch rocker switch is constantly lit up now so i guess I’ll definitely be doing option 2

Rather than splicing/cutting into the Red/Blue and Orange wires going to the Accessory Relay how about this. Pull the connector/socket off the Accessory Relay. Get a Single Pole/Single Throw (SPST - 20A minimum) switch (recommend lighted) and determine where to put it. Make two appropriate lengths of wire to go from the switch to the Accessory Relay connector/socket. Put male spade crimp connectors on one end and on the other end female spade crimp connectors. Plug the male ends into the appropriate pins (Red/Blue (Pin 30) and Orange (Pin 87) ) on the Accessory Relay connector/socket and the female ends onto your switch (Red/Blue Pin 2 and Orange Pin 3). If you use a lighted rocker switch to remind you when it is on, connect ground to Pin 7.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

#28 ·
Man i was half way thou this tread and was thinking the Whole time im going to post the MuleBook pdf, then Wayla already done, thanks Jeremy! I would like to buy the man or men or woman who put that together and buy them a few cold drinks!! have used it multiple times for a few small add on's ive done and Going to do! Plus having all the Wiring schematics is Awesome

#34 ·
Still learning about my Mule and getting ready to add some accessories. Last night I was looking in the front compartment with a flashlight and found a couple open wire ends I hadn't seen before! I had to reach around the wire panel and push/pull them through the hole in the top/center of it. These two wires are designated as "Accessory Terminals Front" in the wiring diagram. One wire is Black/Yellow (Ground) and the other one is Brown/Red which is 12V @ Ignition on from Fuse Box 1, Fuse #3, 15A, the Accessory Fuse (Front). Because it was just dumb luck that helped me find them and, I have never heard anyone mention them, I thought I'd do another version of the Wiring Diagram adding the locations where Kawasaki put wire ends that we can use to connect accessories. This should be of some help to newbies like me that don't have someone nearby that can point out these locations. :laugh: Cheers,
This is an awesome diagram do you happen to Know where I can find the same thing for an 800 teryx 4s

#35 ·
Welcome to the forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.