Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 years ago I posted a thread about the stator in my 2013 BF750 that died. I replaced it with an OEM stator and it worked fine until now. Had a dead battery the other day and figured it was time for a new one since it was 3 years old. Nope, installed new battery only to find out it was not getting any charge. Tested the stator and it looks done.

So my question is, what is a good, reputable aftermarket stator? OEM is not available anywhere, or I would go that route again. RM Stator and Ricks Stators seem to have ok reviews. I'm guessing both are Chinese since I don't see country of manufacture on either website. I was hoping to avoid Chinese junk since it is not exactly a fun job replacing these. Any experience and/or recommendations would be great, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
About 6 years ago I posted a thread about the stator in my 2013 BF750 that died. I replaced it with an OEM stator and it worked fine until now. Had a dead battery the other day and figured it was time for a new one since it was 3 years old. Nope, installed new battery only to find out it was not getting any charge. Tested the stator and it looks done.

So my question is, what is a good, reputable aftermarket stator? OEM is not available anywhere, or I would go that route again. RM Stator and Ricks Stators seem to have ok reviews. I'm guessing both are Chinese since I don't see country of manufacture on either website. I was hoping to avoid Chinese junk since it is not exactly a fun job replacing these. Any experience and/or recommendations would be great, thanks!
I believe both Ricks and RM build..or rebuild.. their own stators...so both are North American made. Either way, they are the trusted-ones in the industry.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm leaning that way. The RM can be found for around $200, the Rick's stator is around $265. RM has a two year warranty, Rick's offers one year. If both are reputable, I wonder if I should just get the RM and save the extra cash? If anyone else has experience with these or other brand stators please let me know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rocky Mountain ATV has the OEM stator in stock. But they're a little over $400

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
I'm wondering why there has been "above normal" number of Kawasaki stators failing the last few years. Some multiple times. I know if they touch the rotor that's death but you would think there would be some sign of that contact...and if there is, could be from a warped rotor or loose crank main bearing..or thrust I guess.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
264 Posts
I'm wondering why there has been "above normal" number of Kawasaki stators failing the last few years. Some multiple times. I know if they touch the rotor that's death but you would think there would be some sign of that contact...and if there is, could be from a warped rotor or loose crank main bearing..or thrust I guess.
Or cheapness for increase of profits

·
Registered
262 Posts
A few years ago, I replaced the fuel pump on one our machines with an aftermarket unit that was made in China. The Chinese made one was IDENTICAL to the OEM pump, right down to the gauge and exact color of the wires and connectors. The only visible difference was the absence of a sticker with the Kawasaki part number on it. I suspect that even the Japanese are outsourcing things to China.

Reactions: Mule055

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to wrap things up, I replaced the stator yesterday. Went with a Rick's Motorsports stator off ebay. Not to be confused with Ricky Stator, a totally different company. Was pleasantly surprised to see "Made in USA" stamped on the box. Fit was excellent and appears to be good quality. Paid $240.

The oem stator was toast, and I'm not exaggerating. The whole thing was black and wreaked of electrical burn smell. Even the oil I drained smelled of it. This is the 2nd oem stator I've gone through. To be fair my BF has almost 15K miles. Yeah, it gets used a lot. There were several rides this summer, in high heat, where I was going all out for long bursts. Wonder if that finally killed it. If the Rick's stator lasts another 5-6 years I guess I won't have much to complain about, especially given the lower cost.

Pics below:
Bicycle part Font Gear Rim Auto part
Black Material property Auto part Jewellery Bicycle part

1 - 12 of 12 Posts