Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be going to a grass drag event on December 5th and I am wondering which of the following tires would work the best? As far as I know I can't run any studs. The track is 500' long and the starting area will be hard-packed dirt (clay).

22x11-10 Stock Holeshots
22x10-9 Maxxis 4-Snows
22x12-10 Mud Machines
22x11-10 Maxxis All-Traks

This is an example photo of the track.
View attachment 18980

I could also pick up a set of these 25x12-9 Nanco Trail Claw tires for $80 shipped and have them in time. They would weigh around 22 lbs each mounted. I am not sure yet how round the tread of the tire would get on a 9x9 wheel.
View attachment 18981

It seems like from the tires I already have, the 4-Snows or the Holeshots would grab the best at the start but I don't know how the traction will be with the 4-Snows once I get onto the grass. The downside of the Holeshots is that they are heavy. The 4-Snows are only 15 lbs on the wheels.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would use the 4snows,holeshots will spin lot more than 4snows.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I run alot of dirt/grass drags and I ran the 25in turf tamers and the 4 snows.The turf tamers hook alot better for me with the 4in extended swinger.the 4 snows did good til I added the 4in extention.I ran the TT at 3psi and also had good luck with them on my renegade to.My holeshots sucked terribly on grass once I put the extention on and would spin for better than 1/2 track.I'd go with some turftamers

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Chen shin with screws in them

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't believe I can run screws so those are out. I guess I may want to choose from the tires I already have since it will be one race and then not again until next year some time. So... use my 4-snows? I wonder how the Mud Machines would do. They are heavier but seem like they would bite pretty good unless it was completely hard-packed.

Do the 25" Turf Tamers still have a somewhat flat profile once they are aired up or do they get real a real rounded profile like other 25" knobby tires? What would your opinion be of the Trail Claw tires that I posted a photo of? I believe that they are the same weight as the Turf Tamers.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've raced at a grass drag a few times and tried lots of different tires and the stock Holeshots worked the best for me.
With or without an extended swingarm. Mine is extended.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's another idea I had but I am not sure how it would work. This would be a modification to the 25x12-9 Trail Claws that I posted.

View attachment 19020

·
Registered
742 Posts
what ply are the claws? The TT are more rounded,but with only 3lbs of air in them,they do bite really hard and probably wrinkle the side wall abit.I wouldn't modify them,due to the fact you want more biting edges in the dirt/grass.If anything I would go in there and cipe the knobs some.
The extended swinger changes things alot when it comes to traction on dirt/grass.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what ply are the claws? The TT are more rounded,but with only 3lbs of air in them,they do bite really hard and probably wrinkle the side wall abit.I wouldn't modify them,due to the fact you want more biting edges in the dirt/grass.If anything I would go in there and cipe the knobs some.
The extended swinger changes things alot when it comes to traction on dirt/grass.
The Trail Claws are 4ply.

Do your Turf Tamers look flatter like this mounted?
View attachment 19021

Or more like the typical rounded knobby like this photo?
View attachment 19022

Could you post a pic of them?

Would this be too many studs? :lol:
View attachment 19023
J/K - Those are my Turf Tamer ice tires I am working on.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4 snows at 3-3.5 psi

Make sure you run them reverse rotation.
Do you think they will still hook up alright once I get on the grass? I would hate to have the rear end get squirrelly past half track.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I couldnt say for sure...I am use to my bike going sideways...lol

They should be ok. I have made a few runs on grass and it rips the grass up quick but my bikes a AMR 840. I am pretty sure there wont be much grass left after a few bikes and snowmobiles run on that track.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I also find the best traction line,is to line up in the ruts if possible,and stay out of the loose stuff.Hope this helps ya

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have to agree with donkey 4-snows reverse direction. I run a lot of air (15) in mine for gearing but on a V-force may not be necessary. Just make sure you run them in reverse or you will blow them out real easy.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I have tried the 4-Snows at the sand drags on this V with the +4 swinger and they weren't very good for that. I spun them way too easily. My 60-ft time was .18 seconds slower and my ET was .17 seconds slower but my MPH was 1.6 mph faster. That is compared to 24" 8-paddle Extremes. I think that just shows that they were spinning too much off the start but were better once I got moving. Maybe they'll hook up better on a more hard-packed surface.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Yes reverse they are a lot stiffer. They will work good on hard pack. They are really bad if its more than 1" of sand.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts