Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across 3 barely used sets of more aggressive rear dirt/mud/snow tires at a real good price so I bought them. What I just bought are two sets of 22x12-10 Mud Machine A/T tires and a set of 22x12-9 Bear Claws. I already had a set of 22x11-10 All-Traks, a set of stock Holeshots, and a set of Maxxis 4-Snows. I am trying to decide which 2 or 3 sets out of the 6 I should keep. All have pretty much full tread depth remaining. I would like to get some ride time on the Mud Machines & Bear Claws to help make my decision but I live in Michigan and the decent riding season is dwindling. I may get out a little bit in the winter but it won't be a fair test and I don't really want to sit on ALL of these tires all winter. That is why I am asking for your opinions.

When I go trail riding, the nearest trails are probably about 75% sandy dirt (could almost run paddles), 20% harder-packed dirt, and 5% (or less) mud. I may do a little riding in the winter which is why I bought the 4-Snows from Camo but I guess it probably won't get out that much. I also might do some grass drags this coming year but it would probably only be a few times.

On my green V with the +4 swingarm, the All-Traks are definitely better than the stock Holeshots but still seem to spin pretty easily in the loose, sandy trails. They also seemed to make the back end feel a bit squirly at higher speeds in that type of terrain. I have heard good things about the Mud Machines and Bear Claws but I am not sure how they do on harder terrain. The Bear Claws look like they would be a bit better on the hard-packed areas and would probably ride smoother than the Mud Machines in those areas as well.

What would you guys keep out of the following sets? Keep in mind that I have two V's but most of my questions are relating to my green one.

• 1 set 22x11-10 Stock Holeshot tires - don't do very well in the loose stuff, probably the best of the group for hard-pack
  • 2 sets 22x12-10 Mud Machine A/T tires - heard some good things about these and may be the best for the loose, sandy trails
  • 1 set 22x12-9 Kenda Bear Claw tires - heard they are a good all around tire and good for snow but are pretty heavy (24 lbs for just the tire)
  • 1 set 22x11-10 Maxxis All-Trak tires - much better than the Holeshots but maybe not as good in the loose, sandy trails or in snow. Probably the best for hard terrain next to the Holeshots.
  • 1 set 22x10-9 Maxxis 4-Snow tires - probably would be the best tire if I ever did any dirt drags but I haven't raced on dirt yet.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
If you ride trails a lot I would keep the Bear Claws. I ran them on my 715 and now my bolt on bike.

Love them for an all-around tire.

Hit me up if you sell the Snows...

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't ride trails a LOT but want to have the right tires for my V's when I DO ride. Do you think the Bear Claws are better than the Mud Machines? The Bear Claws are very heavy.

Hit me up if you sell the Snows...
I'll let you know as soon as I figure out what I am keeping. :tup:

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was considering keeping one set of Mud Machines, the Bear Claws, and the All-Traks and selling the other set of Mud Machines, the Holeshots & 4-Snows.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
They are a heavy tire. But when I am in the trails I am not going for all out performance. I am a leisure rider. When I go somewhere to strictly race I will change to a diffferent setup.

As for the Mud Machines I cannot say because I have never used them.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
If you can almost run paddles I think I would lean towards the mud machines. I had bearclaws on mine for a while and i found them to be terrible compared to the stock holeshots. I had all traks as well and found them to be great in mud and wet loamy soil but offered very little traction on the hardpack. Do you ride sow at all? If so the 4-snows would be at the top of the list. If it were me I would keep the mud machines, holeshots and the 4-snows. These would be best for the terrain and riding that I do.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
1 set 22x12-9 Kenda Bear Claw tires - heard they are a good all around tire and good for snow but are pretty heavy (24 lbs for just the tire)
had a set of these or a copy of these on my Honda before I sold it!!

yes they are heavy, however liked them!!

all depends on ones use and riding style!! seem to remember them having good grip!! sure the Vs will have no issue pulling the heavier tyres with the extra grip!!

took a while to find out where I had uploaded that pic!!

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I always used to hear good things about the mud machines.I would give those a try and if you want you can sell me the other set.:D

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 set 22x12-9 Kenda Bear Claw tires - heard they are a good all around tire and good for snow but are pretty heavy (24 lbs for just the tire)

all depends on ones use and riding style!! seem to remember them having good grip!! sure the Vs will have no issue pulling the heavier tyres with the extra grip!!

Those aren't Bear Claws but similar.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

Those aren't Bear Claws but similar.

sorry, my bad, you are 100%, think those were wings or something, have had my V for over 3years, memory fades with age!!!:lol:
sorry!!

will see if I can find the correct name for those!!!:D

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always used to hear good things about the mud machines.I would give those a try and if you want you can sell me the other set.:D
Yeah, I will hopefully be able to get some ride time on them in a couple of weeks.

PM me an offer on a set of nearly new Mud Machines on 10x8 ITP T-9 wheels. I will probably sell one set for sure. I need to polish the wheels up yet but the tires are like brand new.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Here's a set of Bear Claws..With my Jockey on it. :p

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are those the 23x10-10 size? They look narrower than the 22x12-9's that I just bought.

I am surprised that no one has really said anything about the All-Traks. They seem to be a good tire but the Mud Machines or Bear Claws might out-perform them in the conditions I ride in.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
KFXnando those are BKT tires W-207 or they may be called wings or something like that, they are a copy of the Maxxis Sur Traks. I have found they perform better then the bearclaws, not sure if its a softer compound or just a better tread design.
Twyztid, The bearclaws and alltraks both wear like iron, bearclaw will be slightly better in mud but the alltrak will be a better all around tire for rocks, dirt, sand, hardpack etc. They both are much shorter then what they are supposed to be. Both my 22'' alltraks and 22'' bearclaws were the same height as my 20'' hole shots. The mud machines and 4-snows are closer to their advertised heights.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would find it hard to believe that the All-Traks would be better than the Bear Claws or Mud Machines in loose, sandy conditions. It just seems to me that the bar lug type designs would act more like a paddle in those conditions making them work better.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I bought a set of all traks for spares and I don't like them at all traction is minimal around where I'm at and they don't work very well.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What type of terrain did you use your All-traks on? I think they are much better than the stock Holeshots on the loose stuff but probably still not as good as the Mud Machines or Bear Claws.

primvnut, did you get my reply to your PM?

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's some photos and a list of the large group of tires/wheels that I own right now. This is why I am trying to decide what to keep and what to sell. Keep in mind that I have 2 V's. These are all pairs of tires.

Dirt Tires
22x7-10 stock Holeshot XC on stock front wheels
22x7-10 stock Holeshot XC (for sale)
22x7-10 Maxxis Razr2 on stock front wheels
22x11-10 stock Holeshot XCT on stock rear wheels
22x11-10 Maxxis All-Trak on 10x8 Douglas Red Label wheels
Two sets 22x12-10 Mud Machine A/T on 10x8 ITP T-9 Pro wheels
22x12-9 Kenda Bear Claw on 9x9 ITP T-9 Pro wheels

Sand Tires
22x8-10 ITP Sand Star fronts on 10x6 Douglas Blue Label wheels
22x8-10 ITP Sand Star fronts (normally on stock front wheels but they are being used for my front ice tires right now)
24x11-10 Skat Trak 8-paddle Extremes (normally on 10x10 Douglas Red label but they are being used for my rear ice tires right now)
25x12-10 Skat Trak 10-paddle Extremes on 10x11 Douglas Red Label wheels

Ice/Snow Tires
22x7-10 Radial Ohtsu stock Honda front tires that will have about 120 ice screws per tire (currently on the stock front wheels for the 2nd set of Sand Star fronts)
22x11-10 Turf Tamer tires that will have 308 ice screws per tire (current on the 10x10 Douglas wheels for my 24" Extremes)
I modified the knobs on the Turf Tamer tires by removing the raised area around the edges of the knobs so that the ice screws would not be recessed. The screws are all indexed and put in at a forward angle and will be glued in with Loctite Black Max 380 glue.​
22x10-9 Maxxis 4-Snow tires on 9x9 ITP T-9 Pro wheels

Bare wheels
Two sets of 10x8.5 stock rear wheels
One set of 10x8 ITP T-9 Pro wheels
One set of 9x9 ITP steel wheels with Yamaha 4/115 & Suzuki 4/130 patterns and I had also tried drilling the 4/137 pattern in them but it didn't work (not shown in photo)
One set of 10x5 stock gold Honda front wheels that are bent a little (friend gave them to me)

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's an old pic of the loose, sandy type of terrain that my nearest trails are. They are not all like this but the ones I would ride the most are.
Nevermind the tow strap on the front of it. :D The battery took a crap on it and I had to tow it back to the truck with the DS650 that I had at the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts