Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just looking for some input. This weekend I was trail riding in the mountains, when My temp light came on. My rad is spotless, and I can pour the water through it. But my temp jumps to 250, I shut it down and keep the fan to it for less than five mins. As soon as I Turn it back on temp drops to 190-200. But 10mins later right back up again.:confused:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you get air in it, and most impotantly how do you get it out?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Lift the front o your quad up, about a foot and refill the radiator, make sure its not just water in there.

·
Registered
787 Posts
How do you get air in it, and most impotantly how do you get it out?
To get any air out of the system: run the bike with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens. ( you will see the coolant start circulating.) This usually takes about 15-20 to get bike to operating temperature at idle.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right on thanks guys. I will give that a shot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive had the same issue. What does it mean when the temp light starts to flash? Mine is brand new from the dealership with just over 100 miles on it. I wouldnt imagine i would have air in my system. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
"To get any air out of the system: run the bike with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens. ( you will see the coolant start circulating.) This usually takes about 15-20 to get bike to operating temperature at idle."

But you also need to have water with you while you do this, the water level will go down, at that point put water in, it will bubble back up, stop putting water in, when the water level goes back down put more water in, keep doing this until it stops bubbling.

Every time the radiator pukes the water out it's getting the "air lock" out. Just keep on top of it with the water. This also happens with trucks that are run off road.

One time it took me 30 mins of baby sitting the radiator and constantly putting water in before I got all the air out. Be patient.

·
Registered
787 Posts
"To get any air out of the system: run the bike with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens. ( you will see the coolant start circulating.) This usually takes about 15-20 to get bike to operating temperature at idle."

But you also need to have water with you while you do this, the water level will go down, at that point put water in, it will bubble back up, stop putting water in, when the water level goes back down put more water in, keep doing this until it stops bubbling.

Every time the radiator pukes the water out it's getting the "air lock" out. Just keep on top of it with the water. This also happens with trucks that are run off road.

One time it took me 30 mins of baby sitting the radiator and constantly putting water in before I got all the air out. Be patient.
Well yeah I forgot to add that part. Distilled water only...when not using a 50/50 premix.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just tried that, and Im not sure. I took all the plastics off and watched it. I never saw the levels go down more than a 1/2". I saw a bunch of small bubbles come up, but nothing big. The temp fluctuated between 190 to 220.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Did your fan come on? When you say the radiator is clean, are the fins mud/dirt colored? I use an aluminum etching cleaner to get my radiator completely clean.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the fan did come on, and the is a slight tinge of mud stain. I am able run a hose through the rad, straight through.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
could the stat be sticky. I only have 35 hours on it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've never heard of a t-stat going bad on these machines, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If I were having overheating issues I would first make sure the radiator is clean enough to eat off of.

Do you have a temp gauge? How do you know the coolant got to 190-200 the other day?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I do have a guage isntalled. The probe is in the top rad hose. The fan triggers at 210 and the high temp light comes on at 250. So I think itis working properly. I will clean the rad right out tonight.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well took the hose to it for a good ten mins. Jacked it right up and burped it again. And well boys I think we might just have it. Reved it up for 5 mins and only got to 220. Going to have to put it back together and take it for a good rip. Thanks for all the advice. Jakedogg where do you get etching cleaner?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Oreillys. You can use some wheel cleaner. Eagle one etching mag cleaner. It doesn't take long, 2 minutes maybe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just don't leave it on very long. It can weaken the tubes/fins.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Look for home AC coil cleaner it is a spray can. You can find it at Lowes or Depot you spray the rad it will foam all the dirt off and out of the little crevisis then just hose clean....Great stuff to have during rides if you have any issues. You can also get it comercially in gal and 5 gal containers to use in a garden sprayer if a few of you were involved. Just a thought.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I actually use a concentrate that requires dillution, but the wheel cleaner I spoke of works just as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts