Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stuck the brute for the 2nd time yesterday. We were in about 12-18 inches of mud in a cut soybean field. After getting pulled out, I decided to get a winch. The only real reason I want one is because I mostly ride alone and these fields around here can go from dusty to muddy in a few hundred feet. Anyone tried the VIPER winches I've seen on eBay? I know they're probably not the best quality but the winch and plate come for about 125. I've only been pulled out twice in 2 months so I guess I'd only need it about 25-30 times a year. I'm also on stock tires that I'm sure help me get stuck. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got a 3000# Viper and love mine. Cheap and dependable. The trouble is getting stuck in a field the generally isn't anything to hook on to

·
Registered
281 Posts
its your money, however, you pay for what you get, dont plan on spending $100 and this thing holding up for years, if it was me id just spend the extra couple hundred and get a Warn 2500 series. there mean to the wallet but 90% of the time they last twice as long as an el-cheapo

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I tried out a Viper 2500 on my V. Winch is heavy and the contactor is not very waterproof, but it is probably a good value for what it costs. I like my Warn a lot better, but it did cost more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Viper

I have a 3000 lb viper on my brute with the synthetic rope and have used it 10-15 times no problems with it. I would suggest going to viper.com and ordering from there, one nice thing about viper it comes with everything you need to install plus a couple of extras, for what you need it for it is the best for the price....hope it helps

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Gorillia (now called Promark offroad) 3500lbs winch and have had no problems with it. I also used to lift my snow plow for 12 hours straight and had no problems. I would reccommend the 3000lbs or 2500lbs. the 3500lbs one sticks out a little bit. For the price you could buy three or four of them before you bought a warn.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have the Xtream 3000 bought it off ebay 3 years ago for $150 with mounting plate.
pulled many people out with warn winches:D and boy are they mad when I tell them it's el-cheapo :eek:

·
Registered
711 Posts
The only thing I have heard about the viper that is bad is the contactor not being waterproof.If you replace it with a warn contactor you will be ahead of the game.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The viper max has a new controller. I got the 4500 with mount 234 works good. bud has one sets out side,rain snow no problems. If you have money to wast get a warn. way to much mark up!

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
ive had a couple cheap superwinches on some of my other quads and they didnt last very long nor did they have the pulling capacity or gearing they stated... all 3 of the superwinches i had would literally stop pulling and just whine under a load and it wasnt a 1500lb load either... the warn winches ive dealt with have been nice units but all of them have eventually tore up in some way after a few years of use... i do think you get what you pay for and ill stick with the warn from now on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a viper max 5000lb kit for $264. It came with a snatch block,wired remote,winch cover,rubber cable/winch saver and mounting plate. So far so good. And another thing thats nice about the Viper winch is everything is metal unlike warn winches.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I have a warn 1500 for my V.. When it works, it works great. I think its a crap shoot with any winch you get when being subjected to a lot of mud and water. If the electronics don't get boggered up, the gears do, or the cable get jammed up.

I pull mine apart maybe once a year and clean it out real well and regrease it.

Be careful getting the bigger winches at the 3000+ lbs pulling. That is enough strength to tear the machine apart/bend the frame etc. Use snatchblocks etc to double the pulling power when needed.

My first frame was bent from being winched out of mud. A Jeep with an 8000lb winch was barely pulling it out of the mud. LoL But it did tweak the frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts