Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used Acewell 3100 digital tach but have a few questions regarding wiring it.

1. Do I connect the wire for the rpm pickup to the blue or the black wire coming out of the stator area? I think it is the blue one but not positive.

2. I need to hook it up to constant power so I am assuming that I will have to come right off the battery for that. Would there be a better place?

3. Where can I get switched power from? I need to find a place to get power from that will turn off with the key. Is there something up buy the handlebar area or do I have to find something farther back?

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
If you have not found it yet, there is a small black sack that is velcroed, it is located on th right side of the quad as you sit on it, kind of by the coolant reservoir. In the sack is a hot an ground that runs of the key switch.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have not found it yet, there is a small black sack that is velcroed, it is located on th right side of the quad as you sit on it, kind of by the coolant reservoir. In the sack is a hot an ground that runs of the key switch.
Yes, I saw that when I had it apart. I will check that out. Thanks!

Now I just need verification about which wire I get the tach signal from.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I don't know anything about you tach, but my Trail Tech pick up wire for the tach went to one of the coil wires. It was eazy that way, just sliped it in the with the connector, and bam!!... done.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I think I can wire mine up that way too. I have looked at instructions for both brands and they are very similar. That would probably be better than splicing into that wire from the stator anyway in case I ever take it off.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
1. not sure, so no ans!!

2. not sure why you would like to do this!! self am not a big fan of any thing that in permanently connected directly to the battery!!

3. hope the pics help!!
in the little pouch is the connection for axillary things, self have the trail tech connected to those connections!!

not a very good pic, however helps with the idea of where it is!!

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
You have 3 power wires.
The black is ground.
Red positive these two should run in to the black pouch.
Then you have a brown or tan wire. That is the only one that should run to positive on the battery. It is for clock and memory. It wouldn't run your battery down.

Tach,
Yellow wire some how to positive of coil wire.

That is it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Tach pickup gets hooked up to the stator pickup wire that is black with white strip, you can follow the wire around from where it comes out of motor to the right side of the quad under the seat area where it's pluged into wire harness and connect to it there.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have 3 power wires.
The black is ground.
Red positive these two should run in to the black pouch.
Then you have a brown or tan wire. That is the only one that should run to positive on the battery. It is for clock and memory. It wouldn't run your battery down.

Tach,
Yellow wire some how to positive of coil wire.

That is it.
OK, thanks. I had figured out what each wire from the tach was for but was just verifying where the best place to wire them in on my V would be. I should be able to just attach the ground to any good ground rather than going to the pouch with that one I would think.

I had plans on getting it installed this weekend but the bracket that with it won't work with my Trail Tech bars/clamp so I made up my own bracket that I am having a friend powder-coat.

Tach pickup gets hooked up to the stator pickup wire that is black with white strip, you can follow the wire around from where it comes out of motor to the right side of the quad under the seat area where it's pluged into wire harness and connect to it there.
I thought I had read in one of your post that the blue one was the stator pickup positive and the black/white stripe one was the stator pickup ground. If that is correct, it probably won't work since I need to connect to a positive wire.

Would either of these be better than the other: tapping into the stator pickup wire or tapping into the positive coil wire for the front cylinder?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I will try out the Black/White wire. I just didn't want to splice into that wire if it wasn't the right one.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
This wiring works for sweeping style tach.
Black with white strip (stator wiring) for tach pickup,will work. I just hook ground for tach to frame, that's how the two V's I have are done.

The positive on the coils will not work. Been there done that:(.

Read this post for Digital hook up, EFORCE13 has a solution he used for his .
http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/kawasaki-kfx700-v-force/76183-tach-wire.html#post821788

For this tach it does work. The positive coil will work 100%
Also for this tach i think it's the best way and easiest way.

I have wired 4 Ace Well units in and all hooked up the same and worked wright. Same thing for KOSO digital gauges also.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK Brett, I will try your way first since that is the way you had it wired and I got it from you. Did you tap into the wire or just use one of the jumpers for the connector on the coil?

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I think any way works fine. It's what you think is best.
Hard wire would be my first.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the tach wired up last night. Attached the ground and switched power to the wires inside the bag that was tied up on the frame and attached the signal wire for the tach to the black wire w/white stripe that comes out of the stator area.

I just ordered a Trail Tach M8 magnetic rotor bolt (Acewell doesn't have the 8mm) and should be able to hook up the speedo this weekend or next week.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I am glad you got it working:rock:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Are you using a digital or a needle type tach?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Digital tach.

The only issue I am having at this point is that the resettable and total time hour meters are not working at all eve though the clock is working just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts