Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V engine is worn out. What are my options. I don't need more power. Pistons/rings/valves ? Are the cyclinders plated like my dirt bikes are ? Can I box up the engine and send it to somebody?

I bought the first orange V the dealer got and it now burns enough oil that
I have to add when on a 2 day riding trip. I'm good with car engines and OK with singles. Are these easy to rebuild @ home?

Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
As long as you have the service manual it isn't that hard to rebuild. I just rebuilt the top end with a BBK (big bore kit) on my green V and it went pretty smoothly. I had never taken one apart before that.

The cylinders are not plated but may need to be bored/honed if you have any deep scratches in them (requiring larger pistons). Your valve seals might be leaking as well causing oil consumption.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Where about in IA are you? I'm in SE Iowa and have a complete motor if you are interested....I know you said you don't need more power....This is hard for me to comprehend, but I think I understand. LOL :D

Mine is a 2004 V engine that had less then 20 hrs on it before going to Werkz Racing. Werkz installed stock bore (still 700cc) higher compression pistons so that Fundy Trail cams could be run. Also has the ports cleaned up. This is not a race motor, just a solid reliable built trail motor with more power then a stock motor. Everything else is stock (complete lower end of motor and cylinders)... only the pistons, cams, and porting have been changed.

Complete clutches and clutch cover is still installed on the motor and look pristine. It has Dalton flyweights and a blue spring installed in the primary, but I could also put this back to stock, or I could sell without the clutches.

The motor only had 12-15 miles put on it after the work was done. Only reason I am not using it, is becuase I have a FST built 800 big bore with bigger cams, etc.... I just kept this other motor for a spare, but its taking up space in my garage.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I have an excellent motor that I don't need and I don't want to ship it, so I have not tried to sell on here or Ebay.

PM me if interested, and I'll get you my phone number and see if you are close enough to look at it, or I can send pictures.....I've been on this site for many years and have bought from and sold to a ton (maybe hundreds) of members that would vouch for me if you needed.

If you have a good mechanical background, and the service manual, you can rebuild your engine.....its fairly staightfoward, if you do not know what you are doing, lots of stuff can go wrong, but there is lots of help on this site. There are many guys who have built there own in their garages and they run great....there are also a few that have grenaded due to some mistakes in the build.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
You could put a 730 in there for about 1 grand if you did it yourself. stock rebuild. i would DEFINATLY replace the valves as well especially the intakes. but for the cost of replacing stock pistons and such. I'd definatly put a motor kit in it and have the power. it'd cost the same/less than rebuilding it back to stock.

NO, the cylinders are not plated. simple overbore is all it needs.

John

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I agree with John, you might as well rebuild with a kit and get the extra power for the same $$

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who sells these kits. I would do the valves as the intakes already went tight on me. Do the cylinders have a sleeve ? I still would think about doing it back stock as I wont need to mess with the carbs and it's already a gas hog. As is I have to beg others to carry my spare gas on long rides. I don't need it to burn more fuel. If the cylinders are shot I guess I have no other option then to bore it. I also need it to run on cheap gas. I gas up where I can on long rides and often the bars that sell gas only have low octane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts