Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 1987 Tecate 4, been sitting in a garage since the mid 90's. The guy bought it new, rarely used it. He let a friend borrow it, he didn't mix the gas and screwed the piston. The cylinder is fine, doesn't need redone, and still has very deep cross hatches. But it needs crank and rod bearings from sitting so long. For me to do the work is no problem, I work on motorcycle engines all the time, I have a small side business going, actually trying to get a full time business out of it. Its 100% original, the headlight still even pops up like its supposed to, and the tires are original and probably 90% tread. He's asking $650 for it. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Totally worth it, that complete and with just needing the rod replaced.... The parts alone if you bone it out are worth more than $650.00!!!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Any pics to share with us??

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im going to get it. Motor is at my house now.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know the guy I'm getting it from swears its 100% stock, but it has carbon fiber reeds? I didn't know they had carbon fiber reeds in 1987??

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
You know the guy I'm getting it from swears its 100% stock, but it has carbon fiber reeds? I didn't know they had carbon fiber reeds in 1987??
They didn't, the rest of it could be stock though. When it comes to reeds I had better luck with stock over carbon fiber, but every motor is different in its own way.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, he swears he never touched the motor. Maybe just forgot.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Is he the original owner? If not the previous owner could have changed them or like you said he forgot he did.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah, hes the original owner. Probably forgot, or the friend he lent it to did it. From what I get he had it for awhile. Its got me wondering. I bet when he blew it up, it had low compression and tried changing the reeds out, thinking that was the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
post pics when you get it home sounds like a steal i might have an extra rod assembly laying around ill take a look for ya

1 - 13 of 13 Posts